1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

4" or 6"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, May 8, 2014.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In large installs, I have seen rotors sink down because they are placed in the deep trench machine cut for the pipe. That thing about placing a rotor on a base of undisturbed soil helps to prevent sinking vs throwing the rotor in the soft backfill dug up by the trencher. Its bad when an I25 cannot clear a lawn cut at 1".

2. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

Installing 6's vs 4's won't alleviate the problems we see with heads being pushed down into the ground. That has happened either because of improper compaction below the initial install or due to something heavy smashing the thing down into the ground. I see this from time to time, but it's not common. Usually somewhere they had a heavy truck drive over the curb, etc. For all turf, bermuda and fescue (what we have here) we always use 4" and install them at ground level and properly compact the soil underneath them before tightly packing the soil around them. We have never had any problem with the spray being obstructed by the turf if the turf is kept at a healthy height. We primarily use 12's for beds. very rarely use 6's.

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I suspect Large mowers are the culprit on turf areas..guys nowadays are using bigger and bigger equipment despite the size of the lawn...we try and use 6 " as replacments any chance so if they get pushed down, it won't make as big an impact in tall turf....also, when the seal or spring fails, the nozzle might actually be stuck above turf making it easier to see and avoid for the mowers

4. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

That's a good point on the visibility of stuck heads.

As far as the heads getting pushed down; We do lawn maintenance and use everything from 21" push mowers to 60" 1500 pound Z's. Usually areas where you use large heavy mowers the sprays aren't that common. However, the footprint of the drive tire on most big machines is 12 inches wide and they aren't inflated with much pressure, so driving over any sort of head - rotor or spray - has never caused a problem for us. The only time we've had an issue with this is if the ground is completely saturated and we're making ruts. Usually don't mow in those conditions anyway though.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkler buddy :)

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

We install 6" on side inlets most of the time. The extra height is needed to get up and over fescue.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A few advantages to using 6" I haven't seen anyone mention.

Where you have a grade higher than surrounding hardscape. I prefer to set the sprinkler at the height of the hardscape for obvious reasons, not at the grade height, providing the difference isn't too large.

Also when renovating a system you can get squeak a bit more out of the pattern radius.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

rep :hammerhead:

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

!!!!!! If your going there, do it old school...use a weedeater and scalp down the grass!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device