4 Sroke Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jinx 88, Feb 16, 2007.

1. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

Just was wondering how many people used them, and if they have pros and cons. All I've used are 2 strokes and was thinking of trying the 4.

2. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

The Stihl 4mix units are amazing, I have the KM 110R. The power is soo nice. Gobs of low end. And they are great on gas. Since you still have to use mix gas there is no worry of blowing up the engine if you flip it over.

3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

4 cycle blows!!! bought a stihl fs90 last year. It is a gas hog as well, and I hate it.

4. Uponone605

Uponone605 LawnSite Member

I have the fs 130 and cant say enough good things about it! Blows my old redmaxs out of the water

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i looked at the honda line a few years ago and it was HEAVY compared to the 2 cycle and 4 mix units. i went with my redmax bcz3000, it's a full 2 cycle but uses redmax's strato-charged engines. really happy with it still.

6. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

I have one redmax 4 stroke i forget the model. It def is heavier then the 2 strokes the only advantage to it is that it sips on gas compared to the 2 strokes.

7. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

I have the Stihl Kombi KM110. To be honest, the trimmer attachment is the one thing i don't have for it.
    But I have the straight shaft stick edger, the chain saw, and the articulating hedge trimmer. This thing is a powerhouse with all of them.
    Starts on two or three pulls when cold, warms up very fast (10 seconds) and then starts on one pull for the rest of the day.
    I know that there may be lighter units but I really never notice the weight on mine. Perhaps it is how it's balanced?

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have the husqvarna 4 mix and it sucks. this is the one with the honda engine and it has no power is harder to start than my 2 cycle equiptment and so on. I have a older 5 years and thousands of hours husqvarna 326Lx 2 cycle that is incredible.
    the stihl series of 4 strokes are better. they have a ton more power.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Have a FS130R and the power is absolutely incredible! Cant bog it down no matter what and fuel consumption is minimal compared to a 2 stroke of the same power rating. Also have a FC100 edger, cant bog it down and its not even the grand poobahh of edgers from stihl. The 4 mix technology is a vast improvement, dont be afraid to try it out.

10. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

The stihl 4 stroke weedeaters are great when they run. Had numerous coil problems with the 100/110's and will not buy anymore. Sithl says they have fixed the problem, but I had a coil go out on one this week. This was the second coil in 6 months on this weedeater.

It's been my experience that coils are only going out on units that we use heavily such as the weedeaters. I've got the 4 mix motor on blowers, hedge trimmers, and edgers and haven't had any problems. We never run these units hours at a time like the weedeaters though.

Could be coincedence but it's enuogh for me to form an opinion.