4-stroke brushcutters. Have they got grunt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by winx, Jan 18, 2007.

1. winx

winx LawnSite Member

I'm running conventional 2 stroke stihl brushcutters for scub clearance up to a couple or three inches thick. I want to go over to the 4 strokes because I'm getting tinnitus now and they are supposed to be quiter but I can't find anything of a decent size. I can't belive either the makita or Hondawith a 35cc engine has the grunt to do what I want it to. Does anyone know what they are capable of or if there are bigger 4 stroke machines out there. The stihl 4 mix looks interesting but are they quiter than regular 2 strokes?
    Good to hear from yous

2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

look at the STHIL FS 130

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

hearing protection -look into it

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Hearing protection first.

The 4-stroke units are not that much quieter at full throttle. I think the Honda would do most of what you would need to do. Only a few need something bigger like a 40cc to 60cc+ machine.

5. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Look at the Stihl FS130R. Lots of torque and power as well as being quieter than your other units. And yes, you should look into a good pair of hearing protectors.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've always worn hearing protectors, even with the quiet FS-100rx the noise of the whirring string makes this an absolutely essential part of the operation.

Thou I do admit to using the Br-550 backpack without protection on occasion, it's more a matter of principle to me (wear it or don't work, kinda).

Power-wise, yeah lol, the 4-mix'rs got a TON.