4 Stroke Handhelds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Midstate Lawncare, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use 4 stroke handhelds where they are not required by emissions law? Do you use them out of worry for the environment? Do you get tax breaks for using them in areas where they are not required? Thankyou in advance.
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I do. I just bought a Shindaiwa C4 Blower EB3410 a month ago and I bought a Honda HHT31S 4 cycle trimmer a week or so agol. I am actually searching for the Honda HHH25 4 cycle hedge trimmer.
    There are a few reason for my choice:

1) quieter, I am a home owner live in a moderate dense area where 20ft between you and the neighbor is very good already. You have to pay millions to get better separation. I have to be more considerate to neighbors.

2) healthier for me. If you run a 2 cycle that give out a lot of pollution, the one that is going to inhale the most is actually the one that run the motor.

3) I don't think people here can accept the idea that the weight of the trimmers are not as important for home owner and weekend warriors that only run 15 minutes. The extra weight of 4 cycle is really not that important. For a pro, running hours a day, every once count.

4) At the time, I thought 4 cycle is simpler to use because of oil mix, since then I change my mind, I might do differently, but I still do not regret buying all the 4 cycles.

Face it, 4 cycle is the future whether you like it or not. The CARB regulation is going to get tighter and tighter in the coming years. 2 cycle is never going to be as clean. Do not have a the idea that a small little engine can only put out so much pollution. People did testing, one little small engine put out much more pollution than a car. I am not an environmentalist at all. I am not "pro green". This is just the fact and somebody have to do something about the pollution.

For people that stuck with the idea that 2 cycle is better, stock up. I might too. After reading all the valve adjustment etc. I am not as dead set for 4 cycle any more. Maybe I should buy a 2 cycle for the fun of it.

But I definitely not going to knock 4 cycle. Stihl is making 4Mix that is quite light for the power even though I am not totally convince they are the best. I pay the penalty for extra weight and buy Shindaiwa and Honda.
  3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

No restrictions here in TX. Using the Honda trimmer and edger is the benefit in itself. Quiet, powerful, very durable, and they just sip regular gas.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I heard from a very respectable service person that has been in business for a long time. He was telling me that the Shindaiwa C4 and Stihl 4Mix type of hybrid 4 stroke with mixed oil engines are more sensitive to carbon buildup inside. He suggest those engines should be decarbonized every year with Stihl decarbonizer to prevent carbon. If let running for too long and too much carbon buildup, decarbonizer won't even help and have to open the engine to clean. I think that is the reason why it is very important NOT to use excess oil than what the manufacturer suggested. I learn my lesson. He suggest the 4 strokes with separate oil is better particularly the OHV or OHC are the best.....Honda, Robin and Makita have those!!!

I am just relating the information that I just got today. if anyone disagree, please reply, I would like to hear it. I have a lot of respect toward the source.