4 stroke - sounded funny . . .

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petekief, May 25, 2007.

1. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

Saw a guy today using a 4 stroke trimmer - or heard him first i guess - a grounds keeper at a hospital here - mine is still all 2 stroke stuff - i don't know about the four stroke things - they just didn't sound right - i know eventually california will force us all to four strokes but is anyone using four strokes now and how is it going?

2. mulligant

mulligant LawnSite Member

I use a Stihl 4 mix BR-550 backpack blower and I like it. It is quieter, has mower power, better fuel economy, and when you start it it is ready to go (no waiting for it to warm up).

3. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i use stihl also.... FS100, BR600, HT101 and HL101. all of them are VERY easy to start and have much more power and even more torque than the old 2 cycles they put out. only thing i dont particularly care for about the 4 strokes is that after many hours the valves need adjusting but it's simple to do and something you dont need to take it to your dealer for. overall.... great units and built tough.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I wont buy another traditional 2 stroke again if I can avoid it. Stihl 4-mix = more power, more torque, less fuel consumption. Unfortunantly they dont have 4-mix's for their saws or hedge trimmers yet.