1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4-Stroke String Trimmer advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rayeski, Jun 15, 2007.

1. rayeski

rayeski LawnSite Member

I am looking to make the switch over to a 4-stroke string trimmer. Can anyone tell me from experience, what the advantages/disadvantages are if I do? Thanks
  2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I have had mine for 4 years (Honda)and have not had any problem with it at all. It does not clog up, nor do I have to worry about it running too rich or lean on the mixture. The only disadvantage, if you call it that is that, it weighs a bit more. But any man should be able to handle it all day.
    I wish they would come up with a BP blower in 4 stroke.
  3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

stihl stihl stihl stihl nuff said
  4. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

pros - cleaner burning, more torque, quieter, better fuel economy, easier starting
    cons - a little heavier

i have all stihl 4 stroke with the exception being my 2 stroke FS250. i have an FS100, BR600, HT101 and the pivoting hedge trimmer (forgot the model)... all of these are 4-Mix units and i've never had one single problem with any of them. on my trimmer and blower... being that i use them daily, they start on choke with the first pull without priming.
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

These Stihl 4-Mix products are not true 4 stroke engines. They are 2-stroke's.

I HAVE noticed that the weight on the Honda has come down a bit lately. It needs to come down a bit more before I buy one.
  6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

WRONG my friend the stihl 4mix are true 4 stroke engines they have a #1 intake stroke#2compression stroke#3 a power stroke and #4 a exaust stroke.
    they have cams and valve train just because they have no oil sump or pan dont mean they are not 4 strokes
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I stand corrected.

BUT, these 4-mixes are clearly burning 2cycle oil into the environment. The Honda does not.
  8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

You still have to mix. I think he wanted something he does not have to use 2 cycle.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think the Honda is the only unit that burns regular gas and has a seperate crankcase for oil ? The extra weight is probably significant if you are doing a lot of trimming. Don't understand why you would want to go with this kind of unit over a straight 2 stroke like Echo 261T unless it is a noise issue? I am guessing the Echo is cheaper and it is a proven machine with plenty of torgue.
  10. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I can attest that the Honda is a beast. I bought the 35cc model this year and it likes to cut down trees! I am trying to sell it now due to the whining of my trimmer guy... whaaaaa. He thinks it's heavy and his arm gets cramped. Whatevs...