1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4 stroke tools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fishnetman, Jan 15, 2004.

1. fishnetman

fishnetman LawnSite Member

is there anyone with experance in 4 stroke trimmers ect.
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We switched to Stihl's new 4 Mix last year. No complaints so far.
  3. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Never bought any hand held 4 stroke equipment due to it being so darn heavy. Couldn't see working all day with a heavy trimmer. I have a little Honda 4 stroke tiller that is great however I do not have to carry it. Good power, starts on first pull. It is nice not mixing gas for this.
  4. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Avery, i got a question for you- are the 4-mixes 2-strokes or 4's b/c the ad for them says that they use a fuel mixture?
  5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

I have had a Honda 4 stroke trimmer for 2 years now and havent had any problems with it. However, this is a very heavy trimmer. I have heard from my dealer that there were some problems with the 4 strokes when they were turned 90 degrees and used as an "edger". The oil in the pan wasnt being picked up and thus a few units siezed up. But then again, I dont know who was using them or how well they were maintained. I just keep mine in the trailer for a back-up and stick with the lighter 2 stroke ones.
  6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

n1alx, According to Stihl, the 4-mix is a 4 stroke that runs on standard 2 stroke 50:1 mix. This eliminates the need for the seperate oil chamber. It weighs slightly more than the 2 stroke, but is said to offer 5% more horsepower, 17% more torque, and 15% less vibration.
  7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Honda trimmer and Edger. Smooth, quiet, powerful, but heavy.
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Personally i just do not see the advantages of having hand held 4-stroke equipment. Much more maintenance it seems like and would be too heavy. I would always stay with 2 cycle personally. I have demoed a few 4 stroke trimmers and just did nto like them very much.
  9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

What would be the point in that then. You still have to mix fuel. That defeats the purpose of a 4 stroke. For a little more horsepower, i cant say ive had a problem with the power a 2 cycle gives.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

NCSU - the purpose is to make an engine that burns cleaner.