4 stroke Trimmers - anyone use them ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PhillyShells, Mar 19, 2007.

1. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

I know Honda and Cub Cadet have 4 stroke trimmers - was just wondering if anyone uses one. Are they for commercial use ?

2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

do you have a link to either of them?

3. PhillyShells

www.hondapowerequipment.com

Cub Cadet I saw offered at Home Depot - didnt go to their website.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Shindaiwa 4stroke multi-tool (with brush blade, string trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer) and a Shindaiwa 4stroke trimmer. Both are excellent, a little heavier than their two-stroke counterparts, but I prefer the torque @ low rpm's they offer.

5. PhillyShells

How are they price-wise compared to 2 stroke ?

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

very similar. I haven't bought a 2 stroke in 2 years, but they were I believe only about 5-10% more in cost.

7. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

if your planning on cutting down small trees and heavy brush the 4 stroke would be the way to go, but a 2 stroke is much lighter and should be plenty of power, after veiw them it dawned on me what you we're talking about i've used those type of trimmers and they are very strong but had 2 handles and shoulder straps, we use to use them to trim around a pond and a fence around 54 acres..
    as for the original i don't know if there commerical duty but there at least Heavy duty.
    just my opinion though

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

4 stroke engines are alot heavier and not as reliable as a good 2 stroke engine and when it comes down to repairs they cost alot more to fix. The reason for 4stroke engines was do to new emission standards but most company's now have two stroke engines that comply with the new standard.

9. walkermowers

walkermowers LawnSite Member

also i dont know if in nj you have any noise bans there but the 4 stroke seems to be a little quieter than the 2 stroke. i run both 2 and 4 strokes. a honda 4 stroke which is great and a red max 2 stroke which is featherlite compared to the honda

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought the Stihl Kombi system with the 130 head. I haven't uwsed it yet though.

Tim