1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4 stroke trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Jan 30, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what's everyone's take on these? i know honda has their's. i see stihl has the fs114 due out in cali in spring '02. think that is the wave of the future everywhere?
  2. When they come out with 4 cycle blowers, I'll start looking at them

I would love to eliminate 2 cycle fuel on the trucks.
  3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, that would be nice and one less expense to have.

i just bought a br420 and i LOVE it!
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We bought a top of the line, 4 cycle Honda Stick Edger in spring 2001. My guys would never use it, always taking the 2 cycle shindaiwas instead. I couldn't understand why. The Honda guy assured me these were great machines and would outperform my 2 cycles. And I had tried it a few times and it seemed to work out well.

But after a while I found out they were right. It just didn't perform nearly as well as the Shindaiwa 2 cycles did. It bogged down easier and just didn't edge as quickly or easily as the 2c shins did. So I finally sold it.

I wouldn't buy one again. Not a string trimmer or a stick edger. I may try a blower but I'd have to be really convinced. I've been told by a lot of people that 2 cycles have much more power, per square inch, than 4 cycles. And my experience with the honda definitely affirms that.
  5. The latest 4 cycle trimmers take mixed gas.
    They did that to eleminate the crankcase allowing full 360 degree operation.
    I think they call 'em 2x4s' or maybe 3 cycle or something like that.

6. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

We have a Honda 4 stroke line trimmer. It has lots of power, runs smooth and quite, starts easy, no fumes or smoke. The biggest downside of the Honda is the weight, this thing feels like it weighs almost double than our echo trimmer. I hate the Honda because of this, my wife on the other hand will put up with the weight because she loves these trimmers.

7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Tried the 4 stroke Stihl brush cutter. It was gutless and heavy.
    My Shindaiwa C350 is a much better performer.
  8. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the Robin BH2500 4-cycle trimmer a year ago and really like it. I wanted less vibration. Also it has less noise and less pollution. I chose it over Honda since the Honda's are so heavy. The Robin is the same weight as a Shindaiwa T-230 or an Echo PB2100. I ordered mine here: http://www.wiproducts.com/outdoor/bh2500.html