1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4 Stroke Weedwacker......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WETSCAPE, Apr 5, 2008.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Thinking about replacement of a few of our older weedwackers. Who has had any luck with these?
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Get Honda 4 strokes. Robin/Makita/Dolmar/Sole have the same 4 stroke with separate oil stuff are good. Just different name. Think 3 times and then 2 more before getting Shindaiwa or you know what hybrid 4 strokes.

I have Honda 4 stroke, I like it a lot, but I am not using it 4 hours a day, it would not be fare for me to say it is good to you and tell you to go buy it. It is heavy. If you still interested regardless of the weight, then we can talk more.

At this time, unless you are strong and with a strong back, get a 2 cycles, so many good ones out there. Read the past posts on Redmax, Echo, Husqvarna, Maruyama....Even Shindaiwa and Stihl 2 cycles, they are very very good. Specially Stihl and Shindaiwa 2 cycles, you almost never hear anything bad. They are all commercial grade and you won't go wrong.:waving::waving:
  3. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i like my stihl 4-mix fs110's better than my fs80 and fs85's. we tried a honda weedeater when they first came out and took it back and got another fs85........both fs110's have been to h*ll and back and all i have replaced is the sparkplugs........
  4. Luxury Landscaping

Luxury Landscaping LawnSite Member

I love anything made by Honda, they are the most reliable long lasting engines I ve ever owned. I have 3 Commercial 21" mowers with Hydrastatic Transmissions that are over 15 years old and still start on the first pull. A couple of years ago I bought 2 Honda line trimmers and have been very happy with the performance. Yes, they are alittle heavier but alot ligher on the pocket book in the long run. I am hoping Honda comes out with a 4 cycle backpack blower and that Walker gets a Honda engine.
  5. yungman

from Calif.

Yes it is amazing that always one pull start, and is so quiet. I use harness so weight don't bother me, I can go for an hour or two. It save gas too. I used it to trim weeds that were waist high and the Honda went through them like hot knife through butter.

Do you know Makita/Robin/Dolmar have a 75.6cc 4 cycle blower with separate oil. It is supposed to be quiet and very strong. I think all the talk about cfm and speed all boil down to hp of the motor, which is bigger the better. This blower is only less than 21 lb. too, light for the size.

Don't think they are measuring the parameters the same as the others. Look at the Robin and others too. I pick Makita because they have distributions all over the place because of the power tools.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Honda powered anything. Anyone have any links to a web site that sells the 4 stroke weedwackers? My local dealer is brutal when it comes to a purchase.
  7. yungman

from Calif.

Found two, never use them.

If you don't mind the weight, you will love them. The ball part price of HHT25S is $329 HHT35S is $359. These are price in my dealer.:waving:

BTW Husqvarna 324LX uses Honda GX25 engine. It is about 12 lb. The HHT25 is 13 lb.
  8. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

I've had one of the Hondas for a couple of years. Also have Shindaiwa. I like the Honda. It's a bit heavier than a 2 stroke, but not that much. A whole heck of a lot quieter. Doesn't vibrate as much. Not quite the high end power, but bags of torque.

And a pressure oiling system on the engine. Now, isn't that something?

Just to show how far we've come... that Honda engine puts out about 1.5hp, and weighs a couple of pounds. Sitting in my garage is an old Fairbanks Morse Z 1.5hp gas engine, dating to the 1920's. It weighs around 150 pounds.
  9. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The Honda actually makes the oil a mist that circulates the engine, not really a "pressurized" system that you would normally think of.

Just dont overfill it! I had a guy fill one up and it blew a hole threw the block. He didnt really care cause he got it for free from work. So I now have a unused FG110 with a blown motor sitting around.
  10. Luxury Landscaping

Luxury Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info on Makita - I was having a hard time finding 4 stroke backpack blowers. I am going to look into this blower. Thanks again!