4 Strokes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by climber, Feb 20, 2008.

1. climber

climber LawnSite Member

I have a few older Shindaiwa trimmers and Im looking to get a new trimmer this year. What would you guys prefer in a 4 stroke trimmer?

Thanks
    Dan

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I won't get the hybrid 4 cycles like Stihl 4Mix or Shindaiwa C4. Read all the posts from the pass. If you want 4 cycle, get Hondas or some of Robin/Makita trimmers that use 4 cycle engines with separate oil. Hybrid engines use mixed oil and gas. The mixture cycle through the crankcase before entering the combusion chamber. The valves are very sensitive to deposit from oil burning in the mix so you have to decarbon regularly. The mix circulate throught the crankcase making simple method of decarbonizing like spraying water into the carb not good. You have to use decarbon solution which is corrosive and take time to put it in and let it sit. After you have to remove the solution from the engine.

Honda/Robin have separate oil so no oil to burn in the combusion chamber to speak of and also being separate oil, gas go directly from carb to the combusion chamber which make decarbonizing simple, by spraying Sea Foam or water into the carb!!!

Read old threads on hybrid engines and learn yourself. I made the mistake of buying the Shindaiwa C4 blower thinking that Shindaiwa is good. Now I learn the hybrid engines are a different animal!!!. Stihl also, you never hear complains on their 2 cycle stuff, but their 4Mix is a different story!!! Stay with 2 cycle or Honda/Robin/Makita 4 cycles.

I like my Honda trimmer, it is heavy but it is powerful. You want lighter, get the 25cc or Robin/Makita 24.5cc

3. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Nothing wrong with the Stihl 4-Mix, been running them for years and the only problem that I ever had was the coil going out and it was replaced under warranty and that was a year ago. Still no problems. Most of my trimmers are over three years old and my blowers are almost as old as well.

4. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

There are alot of guys here switching from the stihl 4mix to actually Dolmar 4 strokes witch are the same thing as the robins!

5. yungman

from Calif.

Good move!!! Robin/ Makita/ Dolmar are the same 4 stroke engine as far as I can tell. I even compare the parts diagram of all of them and they look the same to me.

They are like Honda engines, separate oil and gas. This means no oil to burn to leave extra deposit onto the valve. Deposit on valves are the killer of hybrid 4 cycle engine like Shindaiwa C4 and Stihl 4Mix. Also it is a lot easier to decarbon an engine with separate oil.....Spray water into the carb and rev the engine!!!! Hybrid 4 cycle engine, the mix go through the crankcase, spraying water??....I think not!!!!

6. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep i'm Looking too. Bought 1 4 mix blower from Stihl and 2 trimmers. Nothing but trouble. I have 1- 5yr old & 1- 6 yr old stihl 2 cycle blowers and always ran Stihl trimmers and edgers.& loved them. Still used them last year. My 4 mix blower in 2 years has been in the shop as many times as my 6 yr old and more than my 5 yr old. Both trimmers were in 3 times last year and they were only 2- 2 1/2 years old. I run higher octane likethey suggest I use synthetic 2 cycle oil all to no avail Sorry but no more. All will be sold & I will look for a more reliable equipment.

7. ECHO4LIFE

ECHO4LIFE LawnSite Member

What is the true advantage of a four stroke machine. If your buying for environmental concerns think about what you have to get rid of the oil. ECHO is introducing the SRM 280T this year which is putting out as much torque as the four stroke with a much light and smaller displacement and the price is well under $400.

8. yungman

from Calif.

Stihl still sell the 2 cycle back pack, I think!! And you can still get the FS250......The trimmer of the trimmers.....The king of the road!!!! :laugh::laugh:

There is always Honda, not expensive, you just have to pump some weights!!:weightlifter::weightlifter:

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I just got a 250 last fall to make sure to get a two stroke. It's rare to have a failure on a two stroke Stihl but I read numerous post of 4 mix failures which hopefully they have fixed by now. Yes the 250 is a beast but I get done in a fraction of the time and always have the smaller Stihls to fall back on. I'm sure I'll go 4 stroke one day, but not today. I'm not laughing, its a very productive machine in thick grass (or anything else) but it does like fuel.

I pay the gym to work out with weights so a few extra pounds on a trimmer doesn't phase me.

10. yungman

from Calif.

Finally someone agree with me about doing weight!!!:clapping::clapping:

All the people swear by Stihl and Shindaiwa, there must be some truth how good they are with their 2 cycles. The problem of the hybrids is inherent in the concept, not much you can do.

Stock up on 2 cycles!!! BTW, is the FS250 loud? How does it compare to the hybrids?