4 the experts: AACT as a 'natural' de-thatcher?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, May 13, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

So I am barely getting familiar with the things in this forum but here is the take...

I'm out mowing one of my lawns that is treated by a 'big chem' company. The lawn is often over fertilized and the thatch layer is huge. Makes mowing a pain (along with the excess growth). Anyways as I was mowing I couldn't help but think a couple things. I read that the salt ferts can kill the biology in the soil. Hence less little guys to break down the thatch. What if using an AACT would eat up that thatch layer?

Thinking: AACT are the aerobic ones right? The thatch layer should be good food for them, and still have enough air? Maybe brew an AACT from a compost made with a good portion of grass clippings, that way more of the little guys are the ones that break grass down? Spray and pray.

Do you think this could help reduce the thatch layer? Yes the chemical applications will continue. Will the bacteria and fungi be able to live/thrive between applications or at all? Not sure.

I'm not in any position to start dabbling with CT's at this time, but this may be a solution to a small annoyance caused buy the big chems? Now for the input... thanks in advance.

2. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

This is one of those "eureka!!" moments we've all had at one time or another.

You're right. But the chems are causing the thatch so if you can't take them out of the equation then tea may or may not address your issue. You're on the right path but be careful not to overextend yourself with the customer.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Someone showed me a passage from a Golf Course Keepers manual, quite old, turn of the century, no the other one 100 years ago.

Thatch: make an emulsion of molasses and water and apply

The Molasses was to feed the bacteria that break down the thatch, the water was dilute but also to get the food into the ground. It still works today.

They did not know why it worked, probably, but it worked

The issue with increasing thatch is that fungi like to break cellulose, but the bacteria have to work on it first. Too much is too much

Hit with some CT and add 10% molasses before you apply it

GO GO makes a good point, spinning wheels while its warm is not a good idea.

The nice thing about CT is that you can apply it while its raining, if you don't mind. Our buddy Barefoot James is busy 7 days of the week, cut when its dry, apply when its raining

4. JDUtah

from UT

Interesting. With that customer I would just explain the principle behind it and ask him if I could do it as my own 'trail'.

ICT, your 123 tea has mostly the aerobic bacteria right? (like mentioned, I have way to many other things going on to play with my own tea's at the moment) Also, if I understand correctly, the 123 has its own 'food' with it, would you still recommend adding the molasses?

My only concern is that on a lawn that already gets too much NPK, could hitting it with the 123 be harmful?

5. ICT Bill

If you are using our ICT product it has plenty of foods in the #3 accelerator, we add a whole mix of micronutrients plus fish, kelp, molasses, humates, complex corn sugars. Its has an NPK of 2-0-2. Of course our #2 in the carton is dense populations of a great mix of over 25 different species of bacteria and fungi.

You can't do it wrong just do it better, all of our microbes are aerobic yes. I wouldn't worry about the NPK at all, our product cannot burn anything. our aerobes coat the root and shoot of the plant and defend it against disease.

We have one trichoderma that actually leads the way in root development. It literally drills ahead of the root and increase root length, of course the tip of the root is the most fertile place in the soil so there is a good reason for it to be there. FOOD

It comes out to sixty seven cents per 1000 sq ft treated. Long term you will be cutting while others are not due to disease or drought in your area.

6. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

ICT Bill, I have been to your website and I do have a question, maybe a dumb one, but how many times a growing season do you apply? I would like to purchase a cartoon to try it for my self first and moniter. How do I go about this? Is this something I will have to go through Lesco? Some where else? I am in Toledo, Ohio.

7. ICT Bill

Grassman,
    We are applied much like regular applications around the mid atlantic we do 7 apps per year usually. It really depends on your soil test or soil bio-assay results

Some companies are bookending their app's with traditional ferts (spring and fall) and using compost teas in between. The fact is if you get the soils disease suppression and drought resistance up you will be cutting grass when others are not.

For Ohio you can buy direct from our site, you have to register first as we have to screen for retail and Harry home owner, we only sell to ditribution and lawn and landscape professionals

8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Bill, I do have a lawn that may have some brown patch I believe. Your product has the proper microbes to combat this correct? I don't have to worry about putting anything else down?

9. ICT Bill

To stop it in its tracks look at chitosan, it hydrolyzes fungi, if it comes in contact with it, it melts. It does not harm you or the plants involved and is as safe as it gets. we sell it in quarts and gallons one quart will treat 32,000 sq ft.

Come back behind with compost tea to bring in the reinforcements a day or two later

Long term, when using CT you will not have these fungal disease and drought issues (unless severe) with your sites

10. JDUtah

from UT

ICT, it's cool to hear you only sell to the 'elite'. :cool2: Expect an order soon.