1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? 4 Triton Engine Owners

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Victor, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in the market for an extended E350 Ford van and recently became aware of a tendency 5.4 liter (V8) and 6.8 liter (V10) Triton engines have of spitting their spark plugs. I was just wondering how many of you reading this have a Triton engine in your truck, or trucks and if you've had this spark plug ejection happen to you?
    Apparently, there aren't enough threads in the spark plug bores in these engines' heads and that can cause the spark plugs to come shooting out of the heads when the engine is running. When this happens, the head has to be replaced, leaving you with a repair bill in the neighborhood of $3000, to $4200!
    I'm looking forward to any feedback I can get on this. This really has me nervous about the idea of getting a van with one of these engines now. Thanks guys.
  2. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

I have a 99 F350 with a 5.4 triton w/ 122K miles and never a problem of spitting spark plugs. I've never heard of an engine doing that anywhere ever. Is there a record officially somewhere that that happens often, a site on the web or somewhere? I'm interested in a new truck next year and if this happens, maybe I'll look elsewhere.
  3. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

I own a 5.4 V8 and a 6.8 V10 - Never one single problem. Love that V10!!!
  4. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Im not entirely sure, But I beleive that that problem was with the earlier years. I beleive that the newer models don't have that much of a problem.
  5. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure that the '97 through '02 model year Tritons were the ones that most commonly experienced this problem. Here are some links mentioning this problem. From what I've read, it happens quite a bit. Let's put it this way. I've read about it happening enough to have me really worried about owning one of these engines.

Here are some links to show you what I mean about this problem:

6. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

On one hand, I'm not shocked that Ford doesn't want to admit the issue considering the nuiumber of vehicles out there with Tritons. But then again, one by one, they should fix the problem or maybe pinpoint the issue, perhaps the plant was the same where all these engines were made or at a certain time of the year or years. Reallty makes me wonder what to do for my next purchase. Diesel? That has even more pressure in the cylinders than the gas engines.
  7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I owned a 99 F350 that spit 2 coil-on-plugs out and stripped the thread when they did. They are only in there with 3-4 threads anyway. It required a helicoil to fix, which Ford specifically recommended against in a TSB. This only happened on 5.4 and 4.6 engines up until the middle of 99. Everything post 1999 has "performance improved" heads that flow better and don't have this problem. You will get no help from Ford if you have one of these crap engines.
  8. backhoe1

backhoe1 LawnSite Member

While I was a full time wrench turner from '99 through '04 I saw this happen once,other than being a OHC engine, it's pretty straight forward, remove head, install helicoil, replace head. EVERY brand has their common problems, just pick your poison. I myself prefer to stick with the GM lineup, but that's just me and my .02
  9. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

alot of the problems were caused by the shadetree mechanic that was unaware that the earlier triton engines only had 4 threads for the plug. the plugs have to be installed on a COLD engine, use anti-sieze and have to be torqued to 14 ft. lbs.. the heads were fixed (more threads) in 2003. there is another fix for stripped threads specifically for the triton engine made by timesert. i believe that most of the spit plugs are caused by the plug being installed wrong, although ford should have never designed a head with only 4 threads in it either.
  10. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 F250 Super Duty with the V-10. I read through the consumer affairs websites before reading this post. It is quite a problem. I have 92,000 on my engine. The service manual shows that the plugs should be replaced at 100k miles. I am getting mine changed in about a month. When I spoke to the service advisor at Ford, he said he had not seen too many cases of the blown spark plugs coming into the local shop here. I have been loyal to Ford for many years, but I am disappointed in the way they handled this debacle. I am having the plugs changed at a Ford service center so they are the last ones to have laid hands on the engine. I know that will not specifically provide any recourse if my plug threads fail later! I'll keep you posted!