4 vs 5 day work week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TTM42, Jan 26, 2012.

1. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

I recently posted about the pros and cons of a 4 vs 5 day work week. People said that you save money and gas and time doing it 4 days instead of 5 and I just don't see how thats possible. If you work 4 10 hr days your still going to have to do the driving that your going to have to do on the 5th day and your still going to use the same amount of gas and plus working 10 hr days runs a worker down more than 5 8 hr days, especially myself being 43 yrs old. Im thinking worker productivity would go down with the longer days, can anyone shed any light on anything Im missing?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i agree. i think some of them might live several miles from where they work so if they drive 15miles to get to a neighborhood then only working 4 days would keep them from having to drive 30miles more per week. (back and forth from the neighborhood) in other situations like mine yards i mow are less than 3-5 miles from where i live so it's not a big deal. some are a bit farther but some are closer as well. the closest is 1mile away and the farthest is maybe 10miles away.

3. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply, keep them coming please.

4. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

do you have employees

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I dont know how you could keep up with a full 5 day week that is full of mowing and maintenance. What if it rains?

6. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

Im working on finding good employees now, that will be another thread I start :) Like I said in my previous post, I just don't see how you can save any money or time doing a 4 day vs 5 day work week, if anyone can prove me wrong then Id like to know.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if you have a tight route then it shouldn't be any different. you would spend the extra 2hrs x 4 days burning just as much gas as working 1-8hr day and you would be paying any employees the same amount of money either way.

8. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

Thats exactly what I was thinking as well

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

You are going to burn the same amount of gas. So what. I would much rather work 4 x 10. It make's for a happier employee. That is going to save you money in the long run.

10. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Is this something your are considering to do or you just want to debate it? I can think of 2 good reasons for us. But truth be told this last season we were cutting 5,6, and 7 days a week depends. For me I think it would be the added wheel time.