4 X 6 Trailer-- Is in big enough???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BigHarry, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BigHarry

BigHarry LawnSite Member

Is a 4x6 trailer big enough to carry a 42 inch ZTR and a 21 inch push mower. I know its gonna be tight but I want to go as small as possible whats the smallest trailer I could use?

2. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i would suggest always getting a bigger one maybe start with a 5x10

3. IndustrialGreen

IndustrialGreen LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I started with a 5x10. Should've gone 6x12. I have no idea if that stuff would fit on a 4x6, i dunno, maybe of the 21 goes in sideways, but what a hassle. Even if they do fit, your gonna be out of space for anything else like trimmers, edgers, tools, gas, expendable supplies, etc. I too would reccomend at least a 5x10. Its not awful heavy, and tows as easy, and in the same price range, maybe just a bit more.

4. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Most z's are over 70 inches long, which would mean you'd need at least 91 inches of space at the very minimum. So a 5x8(even at 96") would most likely be too small, like the others have said, try a 5x10.

5. mtwcutt

mtwcutt LawnSite Member
    from OKC, OK

Definately go with at least a 5x10. I have a 5x10 a 36" Hustler Z and a 21" mower and space is limited!!

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

5 x 10 minimum, because you probably always want a trailer that can hold a sheet of plywood dimensions and a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 often are a 1/2 shy of the 4' you need.

I've even toyed with the idea of a 4 x 6 cargo trailer too, and its amazing how much smaller it really is. Its puny.

A 6 x 12 near what I had, but the axles can get you sometimes on a 6' Wide trailer, if the wheels and fenders are outside the box - parking, etc..

7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd recommend a 6x12. I have a 5x8, and if I need to buy another mower, I will also need to buy another trailer. So, think and plan ahead.

8. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

5x10 definitely. I bought a 5x8 at first. After my Z was on there, I barely had room for gas cans. Traded for a 5x10 the next week. Still small, but big enough for my Z and a push.

9. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 7x12 and it is perfect. right now enough room for my walk behind and push mower, with enough room to add a ztr with the wb sideways. think ahead, they are not that much more for a little more trailer. especially in a single axle.

josh

10. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

how much would a 7x12 run pricewise??? thanks