4"x6" vs. 8 1/2" x 5 1/2 flyers/post cards.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A1Lawns, Jan 31, 2007.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

I see on "gotprint.com" they have 1 sided 4x6 post cards @ 5,000 for $99 + shipping. This is a GREAT deal. But how effective are these size post cards in comparison to the bigger 8 1/2 x 5 1/2?
    Has anyone mailed out both sizes with about the same results or is there really that much of a difference response wise?

2. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Size matters to a certain extent. Its what the card looks like that will get the attention, For that price thats pretty cheap but also figure in the cost of postage

3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The catch is more important that size to an extent. Also you can get free samples of cards from most printers. Overnight prints has served us very well, and the product is the best i've seen.

5 1/2 x 8 is HUGE, and most people would not keep something that size lying around, while a 4x6 is easily stored in the junk drawer for later. Make an eye catching 4x6 and you'll get customers and save a ton of money.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I most input here because I have spent 8 months doing research on this. A 5.5 X 8.5 postcard does get a better response in marketing and for good reasons. Bulk mail is sent through a machine and 6 X 4 postcards are lost all the time, they are lost in between mail in deliveries and even by the people getting their mail. They do not stand out, nor do many people pay attention to them. This is why they are ALWAYS on sale by printers. They are the "baiting" product in that market.

Your postage will be much lower with a 6 X 4 and that is a big advantage in the numbers game. We have found that it is good to use both. Use jumbo postcards for response on "vague" ads or ads that sell "your services" and use 6 X 4 with "specialty ads" or ads that remind the customer of an upcoming service, "thank you", and other things.

The key to a good ad is visibility. Is the receiver actually looking at it? An 8 X 5.5 postcards DEMANDS tat attention (if created well). No one will keep a card unless they find it useful, so the size won't concern people if they want your services...and it won't get lost or pitched in between 2 Blockbuster ads.

5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

"They do not stand out, nor do many people pay attention to them. This is why they are ALWAYS on sale by printers. They are the "baiting" product in that market"

Well, I'll say we agree on disagreeing then champ. My 4x6 cards stand out plenty, and plenty of people not only pay attention to them, but I've never had less than a 1.2% LANDED job rate (with a 6 trip minimum, no estimates) with them every time.

Perhaps it's our locations that contribute to our difference in opinion, which I find is often the case regarding advertising and operations in the industry. My example was also using a door to door delivery method, which I personally find far less expensive than U.S. mail, and more effective. I would agree that if someone receives an 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 card in the mail it will definitely stand out more.

The original poster should carefully weigh both opinions and choose what is right for themselves.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If you do the mailings correctly, the size of the post card won't affect the rates you pay.

Matt

7. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

Bulk mail is sent through a machine and 6 X 4 postcards are lost all the time, they are lost in between mail in deliveries and even by the people getting their mail. They do not stand out, nor do many people pay attention to them.

I meant to say that the 4x6 cards would be made of cover stock UV gloss finish. I would imagine these would stick out more from your ordinary 4x6. Also, I will be going door to door and putting them on peoples door knobs, door jams, etc. Even better, the ones that will be in plastic bags should get more attention since it isnt as easy to just ignore it and thow it in the trash.
    I also might throw them on people driveways in plastic bags but my gut tells me this isnt so swift.

I was also thinking of putting my business card with each 4x6 so it stands out more but this could get costly.