$40,000 realistic?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BoHog1634, May 5, 2004.

1. BoHog1634

BoHog1634 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am curious to hear if this is realistic - Here is my scenario...

I am extremely interested in getting into the fertilizer/pesticide application business. I live in the Cincinnati area and currently work a decent desk job for a decent corporation making about $40,000/year, and there is some pretty good potential for advancement. My question is this...Is it realistic to make about this same income ($40,000) with my own fertilizer/pesticide business, and how long might it normally take to get to $40,000/year?

I have done some research, and have a good handle on what I need to do to get started, Thanks mostly to information I have found on this site.

I really want to be my own boss, own my own company, be outside, and 'work' for a living, not just sit on my butt for 40 hours a week. I was involved with golf course maintenance for 7 years prior to getting my current 'corporate' job, and I really miss it.

I basically need to know, bottom line, if $40,000/year is a realistic income to achieve in the Cincinnati and surrounding area with a fertilizer/pesticide type of business. I would also to the aerification, seeding, sodding, and mulching services.

Is this realistic? Thanks for your replies!!!
  2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

first couple of years, there is no way NET will be anywhere close to that. You may be lucky to gross that your first season, unless of course you buy out an existing company. Give it a shot part time, charge the right rates, and see how well it takes off. Then once the time/financial situation dictates, take the plunge to full time.
  3. BoHog1634

from Ohio

Thanks for the information and advice!! It is greatly appreciated!

Just out of curiosity, since I am new as potentially owning a business, is there an average %'age of gross income or total generated sales that you can determine will be an approximate net profit. I realize a lot of factors go into an equation such as this, but in the fertilization/pesticide application business, is it safe to say that approximately 50% would be net profit? Or more like 40%? Or possibly 60%?

Also, is the South Western Ohio region overly saturated with these fertilization/pesticide application businesses? In other words, is this something that doesn't necessarily have Great growth potential for someone starting out small/part-time?

Again, Thank You for your replies!!! I really do appreciate the information and advice!
  4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing it right, profit should be around 40%.
  5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

well let me tell ya, they are everywhere. You have 2 weed man dividing the city, chemlawn, greenlon, showcase just to name a few of the hundreds I pass each week. I am making a good living doing this in this market but have found a good niche to provide to customers and are into some good areas. Starting out was hard and it took a long time but I didn't have a large budget to advertise as the big guns do. Start slow, work hard, and keep to your word even if you have to eat a job here and there to do what you promised.
  6. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

seems like i read this post a few days ago from you. guess you are testing the waters in lawncare and fert side. have you made a choice yet on which way to go?
  7. BoHog1634

from Ohio

Thanks again for the replies...

Kickin, I appreciate the information. You mention it took a long time, how long did it take? and how small did you start? Also, what is a good number of accounts to shoot for just starting out, if there is one?

EZ, it looks like I may do a little of each in the beginning. I would like to concentrate on the fert application and try to let that be my main focus for the future. I guess I should be happy that I have a decent job right now, and I am. I just can't stand to be inside sitting on my butt all day. I want to get outside again, and 'work', and make my own money, and get paid for what I put in. I can work my hind end off in this corporate setting and I still get the same paycheck week after week.

8. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

man aint that the truth. and it is expected
  9. mirgefertilizing

mirgefertilizing LawnSite Member

Welcome to the Industry

Here is some advice I can give you ..You can take it for what its worth. I would suggest that you get a job in the industry for a year or so just to get you feet wet and get some knowledge about how it runs. There are alot of diffrent things to know before starting a business like this. Chemicles, equipment, weed and turf identification etc, etc...
    Once you have a little experience and knowledge things will go alot smoother and you will be able to give much better service...Walking out 2 acres with a hose isnt for everyone I would try it before I make a career of it.....
    Good Luck!!!!
  10. BoHog1634

from Ohio

Again, thanks for the advice!

Can anyone give me an idea as to what type of equipment is necessary to start out in the fert/pesticide application business. Is it simply 1 or 2 spreaders, a back pack sprayer, and material? Or am I way off course with this?

Thanks again