1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

40 acre park bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timinkc, Mar 14, 2004.

1. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

What do you guys think...?

40 acre park, trim biweekly, very hilly, but could do 95% with Z...trim 8-10hrs.
    never did anything this big

i am bidding on it and figure i'm gonna get lowballed...whats the word guys?
  2. kenslandscaping

kenslandscaping LawnSite Member

I bid on 36 acres of park district this spring, 1250 per week, bi weekly trimming and sidewalk edging. There were 7 bids total, 1705 was the highest, the lowest was 675. Next lowest was 1150. I had a hard time swallowing the 1250 a week that I bid, but I did and got low balled badly. Hope this helps.
  3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

if there is very little trimming, one ztr with at least a sixty inch deck at $50 bucks an hour, 18 hrs around $900
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

$675? That is ridiculous!!!!
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's funny that areas like this have come up so frequently on these sites, lately. Around here, any larger acreage goes for 20 bucks per acre. Oarks, schools, municipalities. It doesn't matter. For this particular one, 40 acres = $800..
  6. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

thanks guy...bids are due early this week so i'll keep mine private till then but i'll let you know how it goes...
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

My bid is $12 per acre = $480 mow. (Normal per acre charge is $15 unless over 15 acres).
    With me on my mower = 6.66 hrs mowing = $72 per hr.

Trim at 8 hrs x $40 per hr = $320 divided by 2 with biweekly trimming - $160 per week

Total = $480 + $160 = $640

Maybe you did not get lowballed, ---- Just maybe the other guy has efficient equipment.
  8. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

what do you mow with flex deck?
  9. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

Our local town put the high school yard up for bid last year and it is 40-50 acres all together. A guy came in and got it for $600 and from what I heard the next highest bid was around $1500. I talked to the superintendent and he indicated that they won't be using the same guy again this year because of shotty work. Generally you get what you pay for.

10. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

well good luck to you on getting it.