$40 for the season...cut, edge, trim, blow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, May 11, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am putting this ad in the local paper this week.

When the customer calls, I will ask for their address. When they ask me to sign up I will simply state;

"We placed this ad to weed out the cheap customers in our neighborhood so that we don't waste our time and gas giving estimates to the cheap, PITA customers such as yourselves". CLICK.

This week, I landed 7 out of 10 jobs from estimates. The other 3, I wasted over an hour driving back and forth for the price shoppers.

I have decided this will be my last year giving estimates in writing. That way, the customer will not have anything in writing to show the other LCO's who lowball. :rolleyes:
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hear you man, but I wouldn't go so far as to tease the lowballers into calling just to rub it in their face.
    It might give you some personal satisfaction, and I've done more than a few things in that direction myself, but over time I found out it's really not such a good idea, heh...

As for written estimates, I almost never do that for the exact reason you mentioned: More than a few use that black-and-white information against you. All my estimates are verbal, those who want a written one, I don't even waste my time.

Which is all you gotta do, learn how to distinguish them over the phone. You won't always be right, but over time I find myself a pretty good judge of character such as when they let off a couple red flags over the phone, you can bet I'm not going out there.
    Sure you still waste some trips, I try and think about when I will next be in their area, and sometimes adjust my schedule some so I can get them their estimate without wasting too much fuel.

After you quote the right price for some time, the lowballers won't bother you much anymore, word gets around but it might take a year or so, dunno... Consistency is the key.
    That's how I do it anymore.

p.s.: I don't do this a whole lot no more, but back when the lowballers really got on my nerves, one trick I used to do ALL the time is just as soon as I saw it coming (meaning once I knew they were LB's or pitas), I'd quote them between 20 to 50 percent OVER the regular rate, and that helped slow things down a lot. Oh yeah, once I let about a dozen of those kind of prices fly, the phone quieted down but watch it, don't do it to everybody lol, only when you can see they don't want to pay a lot.
  3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

you might want to go over your prices a bit, if your getting 7 out of 10 estimates, you might be a little low on your own prices, dont take this the wrong way but other lco's in your area might view you as a ''low baller'' but
    if your making money and landing jobs, thats great!!!
  4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Agreed. However, the majority of this years NEW business has been handed to me by another company who is no longer in the biz. He was a well respected, established co. that now just wants to snowplow. I can tell you, I don't lowball...ever. I like showing up in my shiny truck with newer equipment and ask for high prices. It's perception and these people are wanting to pay for top notch service.