$40 gate assist

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Agape, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know why I didn't do this sooner.:confused:

2. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

I did the same thing with the same garage door springs. Had right at $40 in it, too. I ran the cable through the spring just in case it snapped. Best $40 bucks I ever spent.
  3. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Looks good What is the distance between the eye bolts with the gate retracted?
  4. GravelyWoman

GravelyWoman LawnSite Member

Do they sale the garage door springs at Home Depot or Lowes? I have got to do this and to spend 175.00 is just crazy! Lifting that gate is the worst part of the job for me!

Gravely Woman
  5. Agape

I don't know the distance, I had a 110# spring and had the gate bolt a bit lower than it is now. I installed it first by hooking the hardware up to the gate and pulling the spring so it had a couple inches of tension on it, made my mark and drilled for the side hardware then I moved the bolt higher and higher until it was opening acceptably.

I would get the general distance and use the mesh to adjust the spring higher until its where u want- then drill. I could go with 140# spring and be pretty happy but the 110 works for me.

stretching a 110# spring with one hand and puting nuts n washers with the other gets tiring so I reccomend a helper, also I used 1/2 " eye bolts but could probably get away with much smaller stuff. after the first hole dulls the bit It's haaard to drill 1/2 inch holes (a lot of friction).
  6. Agape

the assisits online use the spring in a tube and run the cable out and over a pulley so that the gate is always being pulled up towards the back edge of the rail at a 45 degree angle but I was able to pass that setup. If I did that, I would definitely have a one finger lift with this spring. you can see, however, that my gate pin setup would prevent this method so i tried it this way before fabricating something to mount a tube and pulley to the side.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Agape

ace hardware
  8. Agape

I just realized. they also sell a garage door pulley for $7 that I could've mounted on the back corner of the rail on the side and put the spring farther back and used the cable (comes with the spring) over the pulley to pull more upwards on the gate

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I would definitely run the safety cable through the spring in case it lets go.
  10. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I made pretty much the same thing recently. Mine more or less copies the Elegator design, the sprint mounts closer to the gate on the rail and farther up on the gate. I used a lb spring on each side and I can flick the gate up with my toe just like they show in the Gorilla Lift video, only mine you can do that for real, not by TV magic! I would also recommend putting that safety cable on there.