40" Hedge Trimmers ... need one

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by diyer999, Jun 14, 2011.

1. diyer999

diyer999 LawnSite Member

I need to get a 40" hedge trimmer. A dealer told me the issue is the gearbox. So, what brands make quality gears? Please state what you base your opinion on.

Btw, I am reading about many of the new models from all of the top names as having problems with the increased use of alcohol in the gasoline and the new emissions standards. What year did these changes take place and what previous years/model hedge trimmers should I consider? I think this is the key issue and what I should look for. For example, I keep reading about the Stihl FS80 Trimmer, the RedMax 8001 blower.

I would like to get something by one of the following mfrs: Echo, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Maruyama, RedMax, Shindaiwa, Stihl. However, Makita, Mantis/Little Wonder, and Tanaka do not currently make the 40" size. I'm not brand loyal, but I do need something reliable and durable. Price doesnt matter, but those longer 5 year warranties sure are tempting, and in that sense Echo and Kawasaki are sucking in the profits. How can they offer that if they are making junk? (Seems silly for Shindaiwa and RedMax not to follow suit). Of course no mfr can guarantee 100% quality control, and no mfr has the classic model of everything, some models are just destined to be lemons. I also believe that the markup has a great deal to do with what brands a dealer will push. Reviews are worthless, cause for every good thing said about a brand, there is always someone knocking it, usually without any real hard data -- they got the lemon model. I also think that some brands are more common than others are in certain regions, but that proves little. In Pa most of the landscapers like RedMax Blowers; String Trimmers seems divided by RedMax and Echo. Stihl rules the Chainsaws. Husq and Maruyama have been around a long time, but I dont know what they do well. Husq seesm to have a very diverse product line. I cannot find any Maruyama dealers anywhere, but they will order it in ... kinda afraid to take a chance, even with a 5 year "commercial" warranty.

As for other brands like "Royal Red Emperor" from Harbor Freight, or K-Mart's buy one get one free deals, sorry, I'm not interested in having troubles.:nono: These are the brands that really give you a headache.

I would love to have them all lined up and try them all out but such things are never possible.

Thank you all in advance,
    diyer

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No.

What the dealer is telling you is there is no such thing as a 40" hedge trimmer because past
    a certain size there isn't a gearbox strong enough that can handle the cutting motion of...

I am sorry, it angers me to even bother with the type of reply required for this question.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 30" bar on my HS 80 and it will wear you out after a few hours. I would hate to use a 40", if its even available.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I did a lot of research on hedge trimmer. The last one I bought is the Maruyama HT2321L. I study the gear box design of all the big brands. The three that stand out by design is Maruyama, Shindaiwa and the Kawasaki D series. Kawi is out since you know they don't have 40" bar. So only Maru and Shindy.

What is so special about the gear box is these two are the ONLY one that has two bearing for each gear, one on each end of the gear to give the best support. Redmax has the same amount of ball bearing but for some reason they put two on one side of the first gear. None of the others that I study including Tanaka models, Stihl HS81 or HS45 has two bearings for each gear. Echo has very few bearings period. Also both connecting rod has full needle bearing to give very smooth operation.

I own an Echo HC151, Shindaiwa M242 with pole hedge trimmer and the Maru. Maru blades seems to be a little better in cutting. Shindaiwa has chrome plated blades. Problem with Shindaiwa is the new stuff seems to have more complains.

As For the engine. The Maru 22.5 engine is the same as what I have. It always one to two pull cold start. About 20 seconds idle and I can pull full throttle. It doesn't even choke if you rev it cold, but just don't pull full rpm. As soon as you spray Fluid Film on, it is ready to rock. The casing and construction seem to be of very high quality and well design to take a beating. That comes to the drawback, it is not light. The lightest one are Stihl and Tanaka. But if you look at the design, you know why they are lighter, because they miss a lot of bearing for one!!! Tanaka don't even have roller bearing on the connecting rod.

Almost forgot. The Maru engine is so quiet it is surprising. It is as quiet or quieter than the Honda GX25 engine. You almost don't need ear plugs.....well not quite!!! But big difference from Honda and Shindaiwa for sure. Last but not the least, Maru is the only company that offer 5 years commercial warranty. I have two pieces of Maru, I am very happy with them, both easy starting and not cold nature at all.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  5. diyer999

diyer999 LawnSite Member

Well then I imagine this is really gonna piss you off, cause your wrong, and no dealer ever told me any such thing, and I never said they did. Makes me wonder if you even read it at all. Not only do the mfrs that i mentioned make a 40," but K A W A S A K I has a 44" and H U S Q V A R N A has a 42.5" model.

The Mfrs that do not currently make a 40" are Little Wonder, Makita, Tanaka. The other named ones do.

6. diyer999

diyer999 LawnSite Member

Well, Kawasaki has a 44," not sure if you meant 40" exactly, but I did, and figured 44" is a bit too much -- what do you think of that size, not for general all purpose work but for special apps? The model is KHS1100B. Would putting Kawi back in the running change your opnion? Would you prefer the Kawi over the Shinny?

I gotta repeatedly do this fast growing evergreen that is 20 ft long and very wide at the top, and yes it is above my waist, so I need to cut it as quickly as possible and with a bit of ingenuity and creativity. In other words, I normally use my other 18-20" trimmer for the narrow or low hedges.

But I have taken notice of all the points you made about Maruyama. How could they offer such a warranty and make lousy tools? Makes no sense. I am having a bit of a hard time finding them locally though, and of course, that is also what all the local dealers seem to remark about immediately when that brand is mentioned The main issue, is always, "Well, how are you going to warranty it if no one has it, are you gonna mail back and forth." A valid point I'm afraid. They also question what the 5 year written warranty would cover in the real everyday world. But that Maruyama brand sure does look good on paper regardless.

7. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

We have quite a few dealers here!!! This is online order:

http://www.norwalkpower.net/store/p...ge-Trimmer-Single-Sided-Blades-159p319032.htm

I bought mine on line and I don't care about the warranty. Back to 40", in my opinion, it is too long. If you are tall....like 6', then it's ok. I got the 30" and I am supper happy. I paid $100 cheaper than the dealers so I am just going to fix it on my own if anything happened. So far so good. I don't have good experience with dealer anyway.

8. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

Hey diyer, If you would be interested in looking at a couple of TANAKA Hedge Trimmers we have online, I will post an address you can cut and past to go straight there. TANAKA has great reputation for durability, dependability, and customer service. Have had nothing but good feedback on these machines.

http://www.landscaperpro.com/hedgetrimmers.aspx

Thanks,
    Blake
    LandscaperPro

9. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

ok so it made it a link.

10. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 40 inch shindaiwa trimmers not sure the model number if you are interested in buying used I would sell them just not sure on the shipping but they are in great shape and run great I just never use them. PM me if interested. HT 231 I looked at my sig