40 Hours on the job training

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassman222, Nov 26, 2010.

1. grassman222

grassman222 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, I own my own small lawn business and would like to add pesticide application, fertilizing , spraying ect. to the list of services i provide. I wanted to know if anyone would be willing to help me out and give me 40 hours on the job training and sign the papers from the DEP saying that i got the 40 hours. I am in the Atco/Waterford area of south Jersey so if there is anyone around that is willing to help me out send me a pm . Thanks

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you would like to fly to Dayton Ohio I would love to train you for 40 hours.

The training will cost $100/hour...so please bring a check...and work clothes!

:)

3. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone say huge liability?? :)

One CAN NOT learn, experience,observe,etc enough in 40 hours in my opinion.

I have been in turf and horticulture since 1991 and also have a degree in turf and horticulture since 1995.

I even learn new methods,products, research findings regularly,but I don't think in 40 hrs someone can be possibly ready to start applications in regards to their company.

My 2 cents
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i agree, but sounds like this is a requirement for him so it has to be done no matter what you may think of it, but i understand where you are coming from .
    (i also have a degree in turf since about 2000, i started college in 1995 ahha)
    good luck is all i can say.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Under Florida Law Chapter 482, if I hire someone to work under my license. I must give them 40 hours of training before I issue them a Tech Card. I Must give them continuing education each year or I can be Finded. In order to sit for the Florida CPO test That individual must Work for a Commercial Certified Pest Control for 3 years. They must also show 45 jobs they received training on. However the Florida Test has been dumbed down from the days went Dr Sung wrote them. We now have a 30% or more passing rate.

The State Florida only requires 40 hours of training for new hires but has no rules as to WHAT that training is. IMHO I feel The Law is the first training a new tech should receive. Knowing and understand Pesticide Law will keep an honest tech out of Trouble. Second should be Safety. Learning the Pests and Diagnosing problem is a never ending learning process. Of Course once you Diagnose the pest problem you only need to follow standard Protocol to cure that problem.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Motivated people can be trained in less than 40 hours.

7. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

You can learn a lot in 40 hours with a good experienced applicator, whats the alternative, ...0 training and learn on your own through mistakes, trial and error....40 hours seems better.

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Keep trying i know how you feel and what you need. Some thing will come up.

Might be hard to find some one in your area. Would you want to train you competitor to be.

It will work out at the end. Good luck

Charles Cue

9. grassman222

grassman222 LawnSite Member

I see were your coming from . I most likely wouldnt .Im just upset because all the Bull you have to go through to put fertilizer on a lawn, and 90% of the "lawn services" around here dont have a lisence except for the big businesses and the DEP enforces there laws ??? HA. Im just trying to do thing sthe right way and every corner i turn in NJ its either people how dont know anything about what they do and/or BIG money. I dont know sorry for talking on . I appreciate everyones input

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

In your first post you said you would like to add pesticide application, fertilizing , spraying ect, now you are saying just fertilizer, which is it?
    There is a difference and if you don't understand that, that is why you need the training. At this point you do not need to be licensed to apply fertilizer in NJ, that will change very soon.