1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$40, too much??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToG, Mar 24, 2003.

1. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

i bid on a prop. today and now i'm having second thoughts about my proposal. the homes in this area are in the upper 300 to 400's. this home is on a rounded corner lot and has about 12000 sq ft of turf, of nice grade, nothing too steep. there is about 340 linear feet of edging that needs done and calls for the usual trimming around the house itself. i placed a bid of $40 per mow, i think it's worth it but i'm new to the bidding process and wanted to see what everyone else would say. honestly it's an ideal yard and would love to have it, but i don't want to sell myself short just because i'm new. i know how to mow, so i'm qualified, it's just that the confidence i have in my novice estimating skills is shakey.
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your right on. I would not do it for anything lower
  3. adrianvbarrera

adrianvbarrera LawnSite Member

How many accounts do you have?

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you're in the high rent district, I would stick to your guns. Word of caution. People with alot of $$$ can be the biggest tight wads. Good luck.
  5. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

currently, i have six. the calls are just starting to come in. got two more calls today and set up appointments. i have a few possible leads i have to follow up on. i've been in the industry for three years now, this is the first on my own. i personally would be happy just to make a little more than i do know, however, i respect this industry too much to become a scrub. i plan on making a good living at this and operate an ever expandind biz. i do not want to damage myself or other respectable LCOs by lowering my prices because i'm new on the scene. anything landscape is an art and i feel we should be paid accordingly. there is massive amounts of information out there about all aspects of our work and if you are one who is always learning, increasing your skill and knowledge of the field, why should you have to settle for prices joe-shmoe sets?

i guess the reason i don't feel so confident is, i've been seeing some other crews around carrying an old craftsman rider on the back of an s-10. along with thier hh blower and a beatup trimmer. kinda makes it hard to justify me spending $7000 on my setup. i'm just hoping people will appreciate the fact that i've taken the time to make this biz. legit, protecting thier intrests, as well as mine. everything i've done is by the book and everthing is paid for, i'm careful attentive, courteous, knowledgable, dependable and professional. guess i've just got the jitters, it's sink or swim time for me. :D
  6. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

sounds pretty close without actually seeing the prop. I would agree with LAWNS AND MOWER about the fact that the people with the big $$ are tight wads. Why do you think that they have all that money. :)
  7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds about right for my area.
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Your price sounds reasonable to me. How long do you think it'll take you to do with your equipment?

As for the $300-$400K homes. Remember, interest rates are at an all time low in most of our lifetimes. 5.5% mortgages mean people can afford about double the home they used to. Unfortunately, many Americans took this as license to actually buy all the home they could qualify for payments on. Their incomes aren't as high as their home prices might suggest, and they often don't have a lot left over for lawn care.

What's this mean to you? Well, it means that a lot of these "upscale" guys don't have a pot to p$$$ in after they've paid the mortgage, the Mercedes lease, the SUV lease, and the various other expenses that go along with such addresses. Nuvo Riche, I think is the term. They dont' have much left over for anything that isn't a wealth display like a new material purchase. If they can't impress the neighbors with it, they don't put much value on it.

People who really can comfortably afford your service, in my experience, are less concerned with price and more concerned with the job you do and your reliability. I have customers living in 30 y/o simple split level homes who have more money than some of these yuppies.
  9. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Sounds good to me- hey now that you have the lawn and take good care of it- up the price next season a couple bucks
    Good luck-
  10. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good to me. Don't appologize for your price.
    You have good equipment and do good work, that all costs money.
    Get payed for what your worth.