40 Year old mower still going strong

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dmh22, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Those bagging systems worked surprising well, all without any kind of lift assist.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

we had 2 of these growing up. i always liked popping wheelies with them. :laugh:

3. Ray_Lawns

Ray_Lawns LawnSite Member
    from NE AL

My uncle had one of those and one time while mowing at their lake lot my cousin took off the gas tank on the picnic table which in turn caused the motor to die and him to freak out and drive off into the lake haha. We pulled the ol gal out put the tank back on and back to mowing.

4. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why some of them didn't last 40 years :laugh:

I have a 1987 Honda HRS21 mower that still starts on the first pull. It moved around with me while I was in the Air Force and has cut grass in 4 states and Guam. I handed it down to my son a couple of years ago and he still uses it. Most things aren't built like they were 25 years ago, especially the consumer grade stuff.

5. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Parts are still available for those. See how misaligned the front wheels are in the picture? Just replace the plastic bushings in the steering linkage and it'll steer like new.

That was my first rider mower back in '74. Paid $250 for it used. 'Cause I hated mowing my lawn. I took on another lawn to help pay for the mower.
    Gawd! That 30" blade would mow down a garden, cornstalks and all. Are they still legal? I think that blade tip speed was breaking the sound barrier!