400,000 Sq. Ft. of new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trimmasters, Jun 16, 2000.

1. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

I was asked to bid on 400,000 sq. ft. of new lawn. This is what is required:<p>Seed: 45% tall turf rye<br> 30% 98/85 Kentucky blue<br> 15% creeping red fescue<br> 10% baron kentucky blue<br> 8 pounds per thosand<p>Fert Slow Release (18-24-12)<p>Soil prep: rock hound <p>straw plus provide means to water (hose and sprinklers) what would you charge?<p><p><p><br>
  2. Alan

Alan Member

First, no way would I tackle it with straw mulch, too damn much labor. Hydroseed would run $15-18,000 for that site, just for seeding. Prep is gonna be big on that, no idea how long without seeing it though. The watering seems like a big unknown to me. That's almost 10 acres,, how many gallons in an acre/inch? Can you access a stream or tap in municipal water? Is it possible to rent the big irrigation cannons?
  3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ok it's just over 9 acres, ok on seed rate how about fert, first it seems kind of hot to me (too much N. How many lbs per 1000 next, how many pounds of straw per Acre. Most here figure 1500 to 3500 depending on straw, three guys can blow that down in one day with a Finn straw blower. If you have a Bale Chopper mounted on a tractor it could take 5 days. Figure about 500 bales of straw should give you 2500 lbs per acre. Watering is the hard part, if water is close lake or even better fire hydrant you could rig up hose for sections along with large Nelson heads and water it. I would plan on planting it in August less weeds that way. Also do it in sections so you can water areas at a time say in 200'wide strips. What i see as the hard part of this for you is prep work I know you will run a rock hound over it but think about a tractor with a harley rake windrowing the spoils in to piles then picking the piles with the rock hound the harley rake and tractor will give you a better finish with a lot less problems and use less fuel.<br><p>----------<br>paul<br>
  4. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

8 lbs per thousand is way too light. Will not establish. If the ground is clean and needs no major excavation, I would subcontract out to a farmer to work up the ground to planting grade. I would either hydro seed or use a Brillion type drill. I would'nt bother with mulch if there is an irrigation system installed. I wouldn't do it without an irrgation system in the ground. Is this commercial or residential ?? Lots of variables to make a call. Any guarantees required?? Get seed suppliers to bid your seed mix. Sounds kind of dicey to me at this point.
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

8 lbs per thousand sq. ft. is fine blue grass is seeded at 4-5 lbs per 1000 is recommonded rate and for fescue the rate is 5-7 lbs per 1000. Now guys this is only 9 acres not really that big, we do parks that are 40 to 100 acres if done in August you should get a good stand of grass up by October. Heck there are lowballers out here that would do 9 acres for $2000 per acre with mulch.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
  6. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

just to clear up a few things,<p>fert is at 4 pounds per thosand<p>the area is 14,000+ feet long x 20 foot wide <p>I have no say in seed, fert, ect. It must be done to spec. <p>Thanks! <br>John Bell