1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$400 Bluebird 424 Core Aerator??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by drive20smoke, Jun 18, 2008.

1. drive20smoke

drive20smoke LawnSite Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Bluebird 424 plug aerator for $400. I have never rented/used a walk behind aerator (or ANY aerator for that matter) and am a solo operator that has been considering offering aeration as a service to my customers. I've read numerous comparisons of brands and models on here, but most that speak of Bluebird are of the 530 model.

Would the 424 model at this price be a suitable starting point to begin aeration? Most of my yards are relatively flat...a couple with slight hills on them.

I haven't seen the machine in person yet, but it looks to be in good shape from the pictures. The seller said he had it tuned up recently and that it has a briggs engine on it, he thinks a 3.5hp. (He was not at home when I called to inquire). Bluebird's website says it has a 17.5" aeration width.

Any pros/cons about this particular model would be appreciated.

I also haven't been able to find the m.s.r.p. on the 424 unit. Anyone know what these go for new??
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Theres good money to be made in aeration. I have a Bluebird 530a, it does a good job but it will wear you out. I think a 424 would sell new around 2000. Sounds like a ok deal, but you might want to look on ebay also
  3. drive20smoke

Thanks, Larry.

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference in the 530 and 424. Aeration width difference is about 2 inches. I checked on ebay, I didn't see any on there in the $400 dollar range. I think there was one around $7-800, but it was not a 424 model.

Are these things a bear to manuever in a yard? (I use to have to roto-till my dads garden growing up... Is it similar to that)? Also at 265lbs....is the machine going to be hard to get it on and off the trailer and into a yard by myself??
  4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

For $400, I'd snatch it up quickly if it looks to be in good shape and was properly maintained. It would only take a few hours for me to make that money back in the fall. Aeration is tough work and the machines will wear you out (unless its a new model, hydro drive) but I love those few weeks in the fall every year.
  5. drive20smoke

Thanks for the replies. Since I've never owned or used one....what should I look for in terms of guaging whether or not the unit has been properly maintained?? Any red flags to look out for?
  6. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

buy it ASAP espescially if it has a honda motor
  7. drive20smoke

It has a briggs motor. He thought a 3.5hp, but Bluebird's website says the 424 comes with either a 4.0hp honda or 5.5hp briggs. Might be for newer models, though. Personally, I'd rather have the honda. But it's not available in this case.

Any others on red flags to look for in terms of maintenance or the lack thereof?
  8. drive20smoke

More opinions or advice? Going to look at this machine tomorrow.
  9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 530. It works, but it is the biggest pain in the arse to operate. I'd never buy a Bluebird again. Not with the hills around here...
  10. ronniez71

ronniez71 LawnSite Member

I got a plugr 600 with honda 3000 out the door awsome mach. make alot of $$ with that thing pulls a hell of a plug!!!