1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

400 hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by bmxerss, Jul 9, 2013.

1. bmxerss

bmxerss LawnSite Member

Are 400 hours "too many"? My dad say it is, but I don't believe him. Its on a 2010 Encore Xtreme btw.

2. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

My back up walker mower has 4100 hours on. One of them has 2600 hours

3. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

Not on any commercial equipment, that's half a season for one of my machines!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

All depends on the price vs a new mower
    New mower has a warranty
    Sometime its cheaper just buy new vs a 2-3 yr old unit

Like others said its not

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

One of my mowers hit 5400 hours this evening. Your dad seems to think in terms of homeowner not professional landscaper. Say you mow 30 weeks a year now you mower 3-4 days a week and you rack up 20-30 hours a week on your mower. This is very normal and you can see 600-900 hours per season is what can be expected in the hands of someone that makes a living from cutting lawns. So how is 400 hours to high I would say thats 4 months of use.

6. IXINRGIXI

IXINRGIXI LawnSite Senior Member

I have 1700hrs on my exmark turf tracer and still has plenty of life left

7. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Encore walkbehind with 5000 + hours. 2 Exmark Turf Tracers in the 1500 hour range. 1 Exmark Turf Tracer with 7300 hours (Everything pretty much replaced on it of course, except the frame and deck). 1 Exmark TTHP with 1100 hours. My other two mowers are brand new this spring and have only 80 and 280 hours respectively. It depends on if its a Kawasaki engine or Kohler engine in my experience lately. If its a Kawasaki it might be about toast, but it might have a thousand hours in it also. If its a Kohler, it isn't even broken in yet.

BTW, I have 2 Toro 2 cycle pushmowers that are 25 years old with more than 3 times the hours of the machine you are looking at.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013