$400 to spend (Honda or Toro?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnQ.Public, Jun 19, 2002.

1. JohnQ.Public

JohnQ.Public LawnSite Member

My budget is limiting me to $400. In this price range which mower is better (Toro or Honda?) If I had another $200 I would choose the Honda but I don't so please help.

Thanks,
    John

2. cowman66

cowman66 Banned

assuming you are goin with a 21 incher finish mower, i would always go with the honda. but since u are a little short on the cha ching cha ching you should seriously consider toro. i know some people dont consider them heavy duty but if you are doing light work it should be find:D

3. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Look at the Snapper mowers. They have a real good 21 inch self propel mulcher for around $300. A bagging attachment can be added for a little more. I have an Ariens that is 5 years old that has never given me a min. problem but their is not an Ariens dealer in my area anymore.

4. marcusvh

marcusvh LawnSite Member

Consumer reports rated the John Deere JS63C as one of the best. Local price is $439, but you should be able to do better than that. Honda has a good reputation, but I've read a few reports of people having problems with them, and they aren't the best at mulching.

5. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

The Snapper is a good choice too. Be prepared for lots of maintenance on the drive system. I repaired one for ten years. Look at Lawnboy also.

6. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

"Toro or Honda?" - is what the post is about - not the others (I think!). I am interested in this also because they are the only dealers in my area.

I am currently liking to the Toro because I mulch most of the properties. Drawback is I have heard the dealer here is not the best. From reading other posts here - the Honda is not as good as the Toro for mulching. Is poor dealer service enough to go with a Honda?

The mowers I have looked at are 21", not commercial models.
    Toro Super-Recycler with Personal Pace - 6.5hp Briggs
    Honda HRR216KDC - 3 speed, Quadracut - 5.5hp Honda

Currently I am cutting about 15 hours per week. The Toro dealer will give me the 5 year warranty (but rumored poor service), Honda will have 2 years.

7. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

My girlfriend has a Honda 21". The mower is quite heavy so if you have to lift it into the back of your truck it is a pain. I have never seen when it did not mulch well. This mower does a fabulous job and leaves a nice cut. The downsides that I have heard about the Honda are: cables seem to give a problem, when the trans-axle goes out it is costly and hard to get parts for, and the fact that the mower is so heavy. A good friend of mine is a snapper, toro, and walker dealer. He sell the toro z's because he feels they can't be beat and give very few problems. He sells the snapper push mowers because he said they give the least problems and the drive system is very simple and inexpensive to repair when it goes out.

8. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

Toro is going to cost me $820 - aluminum deck
    Honda is going to cost me $760 - steel deck

Probably not enough to make a decision on just the purchase price when you think of the length of time I will have this mower. I don't know about the comparison of maintenance cost or cost of parts for the mowers.

Commercial 21" mowers are in the $1500 range here. No walk behinds here - maybe because our dealers do not stock them.

9. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Maybe you could look into finding a used honda commercial, you seriously can't beat a honda commercial in any conditions, if not I would look into the John Deere!....:)

10. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I have had one of my commercial Hondas for 7 years and the second for a year now, and have never had a problem with them i will never buy anything but Honda when i need a 21" mower, my 36" is a toro.