401k 's

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jsf343, Feb 13, 2007.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have a 401k set up for your company? (employees) are you happy with it? I am looking for something like this for my employees this year (and myself) and was wondering if anyone found one that was...
    1. easy to set up and get started :sleeping:
    2. affordable for the company :clapping:
    3. easy to use for all
    4. good choices and performance :weightlifter:

I am interested in any info if you have something like that. you can send a link too if that is easier. I am very interested in the cost to offer this and thought I would ask fellow lco's first. :usflag:

thanks!

Jeff

2. jsf343

anyone?????????????????

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I know payroll services like Paychex offer 401-K for small businesses but I think most brokerage houses would too. I am not to the point where I could afford to provide this benefit.

4. jsf343

Thanks Az, I always seem to get some kind of info from you, I appreciate it.
    I would just like to offer a little more but at the same time I am not a big outfit and really need to watch my costs this year. Do you offer any type of benefits?

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We have a health care package that is subsidized by the state. So all my guys are insured, it costs me about 130 per employee per month.

7. jsf343

whats the difference between the 401k and 403d?

8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

403D is the best option (in my opinion) for a owner of company. If you want the details I will pm you after I double check everything with my accountant to make sure the information is 100% correct, since I just had the conversation with him two weeks ago I tend to remember what I want and not always what was said.:laugh:

9. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Look into a SIMPLE Plan - because it is simple to set up/fund/administer

10. thelam3

thelam3 LawnSite Member

I work for the nation's largest 401K provider. In a past life I worked in the landscape industry and now live vicariously through you.

There are many online options that make providing this benefit to yourself and your employees. Most will ask you to pay a yearly recordkeeping fee (usually a few hundred dollars) and then a fee per participant. You can pass the fee to the participants if you like. The tax forms at the end of the year are not much and if you match contributions this can be written off.

Thanks!