40K a year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Varsity L&G, Sep 11, 2005.

Would you quit mowing for 40K a year?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
  2. No

133 vote(s)
  1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Would you quit mowing or would you have ever started if you were making or could have made this?
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

40k ...funny, i havn't made so little since i was 18 yrs old. oh, except for last year, i made $17,242 . no, 40 k is poverty level.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

why so little last year? what happened to all those million $$$ ideas? or is that just what the paper you filed said you made? just given you some more crap. keep up the interesting posts.
  4. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on were you live.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Is this 40K before or after taxes?
    Either way, the answer is no, Matt quit a job where he was making more than that selling tires to start our business.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wanna hear the sad truth???

The nationwide average income for "taxpaying" lawn and landscape contractors is $35,000.
  7. Envision

Envision LawnSite Member

I made more than 40k working for someone else. However, it is NOT about the money, it is about happiness. If you are happy with where you are working, then that affects most aspects of your life in a positive way. I was unhappy working for someone else so I quit as it was impacting my personal life, there is nothing like going home every day pissed off. $$ helps, but it isn't a permanent fix for happiness.
  8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

honestly, you cant live off 40k. atleast around here you cant unless you REALLY REALLY conserve, or live in detroit
  9. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

tires, i bought some from a guy named matt.
  10. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

That breaks down to about $19.50 per hour.
    Depending on where you live in the country that figure might be really good or really bad.

As a solo operator you could expect between double to triple that hourly figure, but you can generally only count on those rates 6-9 months out of the year.

Personally I would not give up the business to go make 40K a year as that would be a huge step back-wards.