41 psi

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by advanced irrigation, Jan 30, 2006.

1. advanced irrigation

advanced irrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from tx

what are my options with 41 psi and a 1" meter. i'm thinking mp rotators. medium sized yard. 1" throughout
  2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Large areas around here are 40psi with 5/8" meters. They like to choke every residential down through a 5/8" meter around here. It sucks.
  3. advanced irrigation

advanced irrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from tx

what do you end up installing?
  4. Broker

Well forget about anything with a decent spring inside of it, e.g. I-20. I would install a 5004 or a PGP for rotors and space them 10% closer and with a 1" meter I would keep the design limited to 12-13gpm's if you are getting the 18+ out of it. And I would stay away from the larger nozzle sizes. I have tried the MP's on low pressure and ended up replacing them with a small rotor such as the PGJ. This is just my opinion, some others with more experience may be able to help you out more. Good Luck.
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You still have several options (MP-Rotator, sprays, small rotors) depending on how the property lays out and what the watering requirements are. It will also depend on how many/few zones you want to keep the system to.
  6. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

If you have decent volume flow (gpm), booster pump the pressure. I highly recomend the Daveys booster. The way I sell it to a customer is that it will also boost pressure throughout their entire house. Be sure to install it on the entire source. Pricey but customers love stronger showers!
  7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

But first check your local codes concerning pumps on the domestic water supply. Many will not allow an irrigation contractor to attach anything to the house supply. They will let you tap into the domestic supply line and run the irrigation system off of it, but frown on adding pressure pumps.
  8. Broker

I agree with checking before hooking it up to the entire house. I assume there is not a regulator on the service line too. I did not talk about a booster pump because I just figured the property was small. If the property is large then I would use one if it is small I don't think that it would be necessary.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Since a booster pump will create in-house pressures higher than the street pressure, you have to look at what backflow protection you need for a backpressure situation. Even if you had no requirements for anything, aside what you'd use on the sprinkler system, I'd recommend at least a 'dual check valve' on the inlet of the pump.

Unknown here is what the property size and layout is. If you were on flat ground, you might be able to feed the system by way of anti-syphon zone valves. That combination of zone valve and backflow preventer is the best for preserving scarce water pressure. An Irritrol 1" ASV will cost you less than 4 psi at 20 gpm. That would leave you at least 30 psi for running mist heads.

If you were on a slope, and needed to use a RPZ backflow preventer, you'd be looking at the pressure booster pump, or maybe, Rainbird R-50 ball drive rotor heads. The Rain Curtain nozzles on the R-50's will cover effectively at very low pressures, and once you get the hang of the manual stator adjustment these heads have, you can get effective rotation at pressures lower than any other sealed-case rotor. Folks using these on sandy water have reported reduced service life. On clean city water, and with the stator correctly adjusted, they will last a very long time.
  10. Broker

We had a few bad batches of R-50's years ago and I have pushed them out of my train of thought since. But it is a viable solution expecially with the ability of adjusting the speed of the head.