1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

42 lots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by satxmow, Dec 4, 2003.

1. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

Need help on pricing. A realtor called me today for an estimate on 42 lots. She said code compliance is on her about getting them cut or else get fined. I have worked with her before and wants to pay cheap. The lots are close together. I was thinking of going $20 a yard. The worst one is about 4 feet high the rest are pretty high also i would say about 2-3 feet. The lots are around 1250 square feet. Any suggestions on price.:confused:
  2. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

$20 for 2-4 feet of grass?:eek: :eek: :eek:
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Hope you have some heavy equipment. I think you need a scissor mower, hi-way type. I also agree with Diesel 20 bucks no way, her fine probably on each one is 100.00 that's what it is here. Find out the fine then do it half of that if it will cover your cost and put some real dough in your pocket.
  4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge them between $75 to $125 for the first cut and then $25 to $30 for each 1250sqft lot. Remember when you cut nasty tall gass with your mowers you are putting alot more wear and tear on your equipment, and you never know whats under that 2 to 4 ft grass so you also might want too "walk' the lawns before you cut. Good luck and be careful!
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

No way I would cut them for $20 especially if the grass is that high. I agree with Jusmowin, I would charge around $75 for each of the first cuts. Then I would offer her a lump sum contract of around $1400.00 per week, thats around 35 per yard. If she has 40 houses for sale, she has plenty of money to pay you. If your like my, I won't usually touch a yard for under$45.00, so that would be giving her a 10 dollar discount per yard, or a $400 dollar discount total!
  6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

you may want to check your lot size also. 1250 seems kinda small. Most houses are bigger than that. Thats only a 30x41 house. You cant build a house on a 1250 unless it is straight up with no lawn space.
    Just a suggestion from me.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It does seem small. My average size house is bigger than that. I would call the city and try to find out what the fine is. Here it is $150 the last i heard. $20 seems cheap, unless you need the money for Christmas. If they are 2-4 feet tall i would assume that they are in not so nice areas, the kind where beer bottles, the big ones, are thrown into the yards, along with rocks, old shoes, shirts, bags of trash, fallen tree branches.........Something to consider.
  8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I would rent a skid steer with a brush hog on it and chop it all down before I even think of putting finish mower on that kind of props.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

20 bucks isn't even worth the liability for these lots, let alone the labor too.
  10. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

appreciate the feedback. you guys are right the sqrftg is around 5k. i read up on the fines here and they are $150 per lot plus cost to have mowed by company the city gets. i figured to bill 1k but that seems like a lot. :dizzy: i am not hurting for money but i have a whole week off from my full time job next week and this would fill in quite nicely.:cool: