1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

42 mile update

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MP350, Jan 17, 2004.

1. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

The bid for the bush hogging of 42 miles of right of way was awarded to a group for $1200.00 per cut or $14,400.00 per year, or about $28.00 per mile. How cheap can you mow.
  2. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

That may sound bad, but if it is 10 ft. or less of right of way, mowing with the proper size equipment, at 5mph 1 man could get done in 8.4 hours and at 4mph= 10.5 hrs. and 3 mph= 14 hrs. and make $1,200 in 1 days work, that is good money around here
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Man that is cheap! Used to mow appx. 30 miles for a small town here. We charged $100 per mile because it was such a PITA to mow. LOTS of houses and mail boxes. They set up their own public works dept. last year so we lost that job plus lots of others.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If that happended (with those prices) up here in NJ, there would be an investigation I can tell you.
  5. PrecisionLandService

PrecisionLandService LawnSite Member

6. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

I couldn't do it for that.
    what kind of hyway is this. an interstate, 4 lane, 2 lane or what.
    Most right of ways are more like 30' and on for lanes here it is about 60' with median. Tell more of what it is. I remember reading but don't remember the details.
  7. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Bush hogging the right of way, approx. 20' wide in a subdivision, using their tractor. The group that won the bid is a youth academy.Next close bid was $2200.00 per cut.