42"Ransome Walk behind 400.00 ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The old guy that sharpens my reel mowers (at his home) has a 42" Ransome with a 15 hp Kohler engine its been in his garage for 3 years and he has offered it to me for 400.00, the cost of servicing he says. Putting aside all the concerns of where this machine came from etc. This is a 70 yr old guy I have been using for more than 5-years I trust its not stolen and mechanically sound. I have just completed winter over-seeding and will soon have lots of rye to mow. My accounts are all smooth or at least transition well. I have been using 21" JD's I feel pretty good about the price of the Ransome. My dealer is telling me I will soon tire of it and the Ferris with hydrostatic drive for 2400.00 will give me years of trouble free service and soo much easier to operate. Well lawn jockeys? Many of the mowers I see on this site I don't see around town, mostly Walkers, Ferris and Ransomes around here, They do sell JD but the dealer said he would go with the Ferris.
  2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Wait, is the Ferris that is 2400.00 brand new? What size deck?
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Yes brand new 42" deck no catcher
  4. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

he's right about a hydro wb... but $400 sounds like a good price, if the old mans got it up and running... you cant lose with buy the ransome wb... but you should get a hydro and dont even bother with the belts... pricey, yes, but they pay for themselves.... but even if you got 1 season out of the ransome then it was worth it. Id probably buy it, then post it on ebay with a starting bid of $500... you may make $100 - $600 profit off the sale.