42" walker ghs deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brothers lawn care, Oct 4, 2006.

1. brothers lawn care

brothers lawn care LawnSite Member

hey guy's i have a 1985 walker ghs mower and i use the 36" deck to bag with and i have 2 42" ghs decks and are thinking of blocking off the rear discharge and mulching with it and wonder if anyone has done this or has any ideas for a deck mod and high lift mulching blades which i already have ready and waiting. also how should i expect it too cut? :confused:
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Where's Ed2hess? He did the same with a 36" GHS deck as I recall, Walker even fabbed and send him the plug, but what I read it didn't work well at all... I'm sure he will chime in soon!
  3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Never seen this done and do not know how well it will work or cut. First thing the 42 GHS deck has the blades truning in. The left blade turning CW as viewed from the side and the right blade turning CCW. Now the 42 mulching deck for Walker has both blades truning CW as viewed from the seat. I am afraid it is going to make a pile of grass in a roll line a like one of these old hay machines seeing as both blade will be trying to pile grass up in the middle of the deck. Take a look at the under side of the decks as well

4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, have sheet metal fab shop make one up ,at the same angle as original baffles.
    Retain the plug with a tail gate pin which pokes up thru hole u drlled in deck,then fold pin over as it would work on tailgate then attach hook of spring to it and other end to deck g/box cover plate [ drill a small hole just in from the edge of it ][tailgate latch is welded to top of plug]
    point of note u must use tailgate pin which has a taperd slot eg it tightens as spring pulls on it,to retain plug firmly.
    tomo... this is 4 the U.S. deck and not the euro type with offset shute:waving:
  5. brothers lawn care

hello again and thanks for the replies and i fabbed a peice of heavy alum for a deck plug and this weekend i will try just that first and let ya's know how i make out. i would like to come up with another blade gearbox from a side discharge deck to get the blades from turning in to the middle, thats the only diff. is all my decks have the same blade drive boxes and i'm not spending money on this project lol
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I made a wood plug for my 36" bagging deck and it left a lot debris down the center as you might expect. I asked Walker for help they sent me a kit that was a prototype but the kit was for a 36" side discharge deck, and I didn't have a side discharge. I think you are on the right track to change out the right side gearbox on the bagging unit to rotate CW. Then if it lets a little row of debris it can be recut on the next pass. The protype kit Walker sent me included a baffle that mounted in the middle front part of the deck. The idea was to keep discharge from left blade from going into the right blade, if that makes sense. I really need a 36" mulching solution but didn't pursue it because a new side discharge deck cost is high....would like to find used one.
  7. brothers lawn care

well i got the deck plug installed and put the high lift mulching blades on and just had to grind the grass channels slightly so the blades did not hit about 1/4 inch and i dont think it will make to much diff. when bagging and i'll try that soon. the dust kicked up a little but it cut good actually i cut my own grass with it 1/2 acre and no clumps really except a few small spots but it seemed spread out nothing i would worry about and the grass was dewy in some places still as it was about 11 am florida 90 degrees lol but next i'll try some tall grass and let ya's know how it goes, and thanks again for all the input ......
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean by hi-lift blades, are these Walker blades...singles or doubles? And I assume you are doing this on the bagging deck without modifying the right side to rotate CW?
  9. brothers lawn care

hey ed2hess yes it is the ghs deck i just plugged the rear of the deck and found a left and right turn 22" mulching blades online for the walker not made by walker but direct bolt on's no tricks (gator style blades) however i did have to grind down the grass channels about 1/4 inch to clear the louvers on the tail end of the blades and i dont think it made a mager diff. in air flow but this weekend i will bag with it to check that out and also cut some higher grass to see the limitations of this setup...no luck finding a cheap gearbox to turn cw on the right side but i do have an extra 42 ghs deck with some rust in the front but its complete with good backup parts?
  10. brothers lawn care

well the mower cuts ok not great but no real line trail .... works fine for small cuts..1/4 acre or less...