1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

42" ZTR...too narrow?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clemsonfan69, Nov 27, 2004.

1. clemsonfan69

clemsonfan69 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

As I was trying to cut tight around a pole today, I noticed I could NOT get close all the way around it, some parts were perfect, others werent.

Then it dawned on me: the tires stick out FURTHER than the blades, so when I go to make a cut around a pole the tire hits, as opposed to the blade. Then when the tire clears, it leaves a 6"+ patch of uncut grass around the pole.

I went on here looking at others ZTRs, and saw most everyones blades come out PAST the tires.

Is it possible to either narrow the wheel base on the back, or could I get skinnier tires?

Just curious what others think. Maybe Im being a drama queen lol, b/c I know I could just go back and weed eat the uncut grass but 'time is money' ya know? payup

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think that you could narrow the wheelbase and if you try to run narrow tires they will probably leave ruts.
  3. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

You might look to see if you have offset rims. You could possible flip them around and get the desired width you want.