425 sq ft block wall...how much?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Camden333, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Camden333

Camden333 LawnSite Member

Using Keystone 8"x18"x18" blocks...425 sq ft. Job site is along the banks of the Mississippi and there's minimal amount of excavating to be done and the soil is sandy. What would you guys bid?

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

No offense but it says you've been in business for 10 years and I'm not sure how long you've been doing hardscaping but you should know your overhead+material+labor+variables=total cost by now no matter what aspect of landscaping you're doing. We could all throw out a number but that's goin by our costs and overhead. Try coming up with a total on your own that fits your company.

3. Camden333

No offense either but I already know what my number is and the reason I asked what you would bid is because I was almost $2000 higher than the person who got the job. I just want to know where I went wrong and where the other guy cut so many corners.

Thanks anyway for your quick lesson on "the basics" of bidding...:rolleyes:

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I'd bid between $5.80 and $8.00 per paver foot for a "basic" 3 course and under wall.
    The difference being what type of block the customer wanted.
    Now, getting into a reinforced wall with drainage, a footer below 18" and a larger, nicer block - those prices start at $11.00 per paver foot and above.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

One possibility is that the other guy might do this a lot and would be very efficient at it allowing him to make more money on it than you can.

Another possibility is that the guy just bid it too low or sees some holes in the specs where he can make up the difference with Change Orders on other things.

One thing that you have to know is that bidding commercial work can be a dirty business. The low bidder often ends up with more than the high bidder if they are short on ethics and long on finding loop holes in designs and/or specs. Your bid may include a good quality drainage system behind the wall because it says "drain pipe". The other guy might have an extremely cheap excuse for a drain pipe that the owner will certainly want up graded "cha-ching". The plan might not specifically tell what to use for backfill or t backfill at all. You may have included backfilling in the price to finish the job while the other guy will make that an extra when they say "aren't you going to backfill?". These are extreme examples, but I have seen this several times. The worst thing is that if it is not in the spec's, he technically is not obligated to doing it no matter how normal it is to do.

TX,
    I think you are using a regional term which I have not heard of - "paver foot". I'm curious as to what that means. I don't know where you buy a Keystone block wholesale for $5.80 a SF, so I know you can't be talking about a SF or Face Foot of wall installed, can you?.

6. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I will sell anyone within 200 miles of Lexington Ky all the keystone they can handle for less than 5.80 a sq ft. By the way we charge about $15.00 a sq ft for any srw wall that we build.

7. Camden333

Thanks for the input guys.

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

15 per sq', hmm thats cheap. im any where from 18-25 depending on excavation, haul away, etc.
    mike

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

just for the hell of it what was your price?
    mike

10. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Mike we are usually about 30 to 40 percent higher than our competion, we do all of our own hauling and own all, of our equipment, I also buy my block cheaper than probably anyone you know. We are a direct distributor for keystone and Anchor stone.