4300 GVW stuff

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Oct 1, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

My International 4300 has a GVW of 25,500 lbs and is tagged at 35,500 for the 10,000 dump trailer I've got. Well now I've got a 12,000 dump trailer and in need of increasing the tags.......no big deal.

What I am having trouble with is findind that weight my truck is rated to tow as I am exploring getting a large trailer to tow behind.

I would call a dealer but my jobsite hasn't any cell service because Verizon SUCKS.

2. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

It took me an evening of google searching to find the GCWR of my F-350. I am pretty sure I will never find the GCWR for my old GMC C7000 dump. Good luck and by all means let us know if you find a good source for this kind of info.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I would check to see if you have a law for the minimum horsepower for the gvw of the truck.

For me you are allowed 330lbs per 1 horse power so if your truck has 250hp the truck is legal for 82,000lb gvw.

The biggest thing is you can't exceed the rear axle weight rating and with your truck being such a long bugger you probably have a tough time getting enough front axle load. If you have your box loaded up with dirt your probably pushing the capacity of the 21,000lb rear axle.

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

gravel rat is right youll run into problems with rear axle weight before you even get close to what that truck can pull

5. tthomass

from N. VA

I had thought of that but then its still up in the air with your weight figuring your tongue weight with different loads against what the truck may have.

Know anything about putting scales on a truck? Costs? Its a pain getting a load sometimes and not knowing what it weighs...........jobsite trash, boulders etc.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can put scales on your truck but thats $$$$ but also it will save you overload fines if your having problems with that.

7. tthomass

from N. VA

No problems but the county I live in does a good job of bust'n balls.