44" & 48 " Lazer Z HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MTR, Dec 2, 2002.

1. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hello,
    I would like to hear some expertise from folks in this forum regarding the Lazer Z HP.
    1. I am looking at 44/19 kaw, 20 koh unit and 48/21 kaw unit, are these two, good machine for my next upgrade? I like the compact deck of 48", with 21 kaw, from your experience it should be a good cutting machine, isn't it? (The facts that a new 48/21kaw hovering at six grand plus, let alone a used one, no trailer upgrade, in and out residentials quickly dictate me)
    2. How costly to maintain the Z and what is routine daily or weekly schedule I have to do to keep it running without problem?
    3. Would the cut quality match or outcut most of Exmark WB, even the 36" metro that I currently own? (I clean my underdeck every time I use) I asked because I noticed some of big landscapers using Lazer Z but the cut does not indicate it's done by Exmark rider!!, very rough and choppy even loosing cut height resulitng in untidy lawns which I don' t like.
    4. How do they loose the Height of Cut even checking everything right, etc, tire pressure, pins on deck ?
    5. Would 48/21 Lazer Z do good job for mostly residential cutting, like 6 hrs a day, What is your suggestion? Do you thik it will outgun or outcut a 36" belt Exmark WB with jungle wheels in mostly residential ?

Best regards,

2. K&RLAWNS

K&RLAWNS LawnSite Member

MTR
    JUST A QUICK FOLLOW UP ON YOUR QUESTION. I PURCHASED AN EXMARK LAZER HP WITH VAC 6 WEEKS AGO AND LOVE IT. THE MOWER WAS $5800.00 (NEW 2001 MODEL, 5 HRS.) AND THE VAC SET ME BACK 1100.00. I SAVED A LITTLE BUYING LAST YEARS MODEL AND PURCHASING IT OUT OF STATE.
    ALL THE INFO I WAS GIVEN INDICATED THE LAZER HP WOULD CUT MY MOWING TIME BY 30% COMPARED TO MY TORO 37" RECYCLER. I WAS DEFINITELY SKEPTICAL BUT AFTER USING IT 6 WEEKS I WOULD ASSURE YOU AT LEAST A 20% TIME SAVINGS WITH IMPROVEMENTS AS YOU LEARN TO OPERATE THE NEW MACHINE. THE TIME SAVINGS CAN BE ATTRIBUTED TO FINALLY BEING ABLE TO BACK-UP, FASTER GROUND SPEED, MANUEVERABILITY AND EASE OF CONTROL.
    MAKING TURNS WILLL HAVE TO BE TAKEN SLOWLY UNTIL YOU LEARN THE MACHINE. I HAD TO ADD A FRONT SIDE LOADING GATE TO ALLOW MY 37" AND THE LAZER HP TO FIT ON MY 6' X 12' TRAILER WITH MY OTHER EQUIPMENT. THE SIDE GATE ALSO ALLOWS ME TO USE EITHER MACHINE WITHOUT UNLOADING BOTH.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

MTR,

I'll jump in here and cover a couple of items.

First the 48" should reduce your mowing time on most lawns simply due to the added width. The Lazer HP should also be a little quicker to back up and when done properly you should be able to make tighter turns with less turf damage than a belt drive walk behind. Also remember that even with the riding attachment on your walk behind chances are your going to be more fatigued at the end of the day from riding that than you are from riding an Lazer HP. That means youÂ’re probably more alert and cutting faster at the end of the day.

As far as cutting heights changing. For the most part that was isolated to the full size Lazer. There are several things that can cause this. The simplest is the adjustment chains slipping and things like low tires. In the past there were also a couple of components in the deck lift mechanism that could wear and allow the deck height to slip as well. All of these components have been re-designed and upgraded over the past several seasons and these occurrences are rare at this time.

As far as the cut goes I think you'll find that the mower will do its job it the operator does his. The mowers are designed to cut grass and when they don't we should be able to fix the problem.

Thanks

Terry

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have used an HP with the 18hp kohler and 48" deck for about 4 seasons now. I am very pleased with it, and everytime I have to use my walk behinds it feels like a waste of time. Cut quality is great, though like any mower you have to mow frequently enough for the conditions. I switched to mulching this year and am pleased, though it's not for all conditions. Wet or tall grass can give you problems.

Maintenance is easier than with my Toro walk behinds. Spindles are sealed, so no daily greasing there. I clean the foam element of the air filter 1-2 times a week, the blades every 2-3 days or so as needed, oil at 100 hours, and hit the grease fittings every month or so. Really not much to it.

It will blow away a 36" belt drive walk behind with a velke, especially on wide areas. The ability to go faster, turn faster, and back up helps a lot. I use mine mostly on residential lawns, so it's fine for smaller places, dependent on terrain, of course. It also saves a lot of effort since steering isn't such a chore.

I will disagree with the Exmark guy on one thing. I find that my Lazer, despite being careful, does tear up turf a little more than the belt drives, even when I pivot a wheel to make a turn. It's just much heavier and the tire is so big.

I've had to use my walk behind during the wet fall here more than usual, since the Lazer leaves ruts in really soggy turf. But usually it's fine.

Finally, buy as much power as you can afford, especially if mulching.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Thanks Bruce32 for your info, well, I would like to let you know that my next purchase is certainly LZHP 4821KA, used or new depending on situation.
    Regardless of what is going...I still cut with big smile with my Metro cause it was all paid for so I don't worry at all when sky is gonna drop, or rain gonna stop and I will do as best as I can to realize once again my new goal the "Z" for now, just want to have as much fun as possible with Wb :blob3: :blob3: will cut till it drop !!!:blob4: