44" mini-Z blades stay engaged

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Perry1961, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Perry1961

Perry1961 LawnSite Member

Was cutting today,and started feeling vibration from transmission. Engine won't start with the red knob in up position,but blades stay engaged with knob up or down. There's a plate directly under the lower belt pulley on the transmission that looks out of whack. Is that the clutch plate,and does it need changing,or do I change the whole transmission? My dealer has a 3 month wait on repairs.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The engine isn't supposed to start with the pto knob in the up position....
    It sounds like you may have a clutch failure, but with out seeing it, its hard to diagnose.
    Your Hustler dealer has a 3 month wait on repairs???
    E-mail me that dealer information and I will look into that.

Pj

3. Perry1961

Perry1961 LawnSite Member

PJ,I'm on the westbank of New Orleans. My dealer was overwhelmed after Katrina. There was a labor shortage and 100's of mowers were flooded out. I just called,and the wait is down to three weeks.

The PTO knob works right on engine starting,but blades stay engaged when it's up or down. I ran over something and skinned that wire running to the transmission once before. I taped it up,changed the fuse,and everything has been fine since. Anyway,I'm gonna check it out again,since I ran through some water right before the clutch started messing up.

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok.
    Let me know what you find.