1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

44" mower too small?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pfettig, May 7, 2008.

1. pfettig

pfettig LawnSite Member

I am looking for a used commercial lawn mower and I found a Hustler FASTRAK18 but it's only 44" and my lawn is about 1.75 acres. Is that way too small? It's in really good condition (a couple of summers of home use) and they only want $3,199 for it. The exact mower with more hours on it also for sale for $2199 at another loaction. My price range is about $3,000, but I'm reluctant to buy a residential mower so I'm looking for a used commercial. One of the problems is that they always have super high hours and I assume that they're being sold because they're about at the end their lives. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  2. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I have about 1.5 acres of grass and use a 48" Walker. I don't think you will have to much trouble with a 44" machine. I get mine done pretty quickly.

What size are you currently using?
  3. pfettig

pfettig LawnSite Member

I was using a 72" finish mower behind a tractor and it took forever because I had to drive real slowly and it took forever to turn. I sold it so I need something soon. I figured for $2100 for that older mower maybe I could try it and see how long it takes.
  4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Unless you have heavy growth or wait too long before mowing, you should be able to mow at 6-7 miles per hour. Get yourself a sulky to stand on and a mowing time of around 45 minutes should be doable.
  5. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i have the Hustler Mini Fasttrak with the 42" in deck and about same size yard. i can cut my yard in about an hour.... that mower will last you 20+ years..what yr model is the mower??? Hustler changed the hydaulics on the FT a couple of years ago and put a more robust unit (ZT-2800) in place. there is a thread on the Hustler forum where a dealer mentions that he has a customer with a FT that has more than 1k hrs w/o problems and that unit is one with the older model hydraulics (IZT). ...you will put less than 50hrs/yr................