$44 overdue account, drop it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Sep 8, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I have a FORMER customer that still owes me $44.00. Its now more about principle than actual money. Should I continue with letters and threaten with legal action, or just write it off?

Also, would legal action even be worth $44.00?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I personally would write off that small of an amount if I had already tried numerous times to collect it.

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait until they die, then make a claim on the estate. I've done this with a few Deadbeats, no pun intended.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, legal action certainly be worth it. Look at it this way, any time you spend doing something, is time that you COULD have spent doing something else. Now, by the time you waste a morning going down and filing, paying the filing fee, and such,...then waste another afternoon for your court date, is your time worth that much or little? It would COST you more to pursue this than it would to let it go. Now, if you REALLY want toet atleast SOMEthing out of it for the satisfaction,...then turn it over to a collection agency. That way, THEY can spend the time bothering with it. If you collect, great, you have more than what you would have if you just dropped it (you'd probably end up with about $25). Also, there is some time involved HERE setting up with the collection agency. It all depends...for me, it would be a drop. I've let many like this and some a bit bigger go.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

at this point letters would just cost you money, and you would end up nickle and diming yourself right out of the money. i would go there in person, ask for the money. if they don't cough it up, file a FREE complaint in court.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Agreed! It seems like so many on this site do not go over to the customers house in person to collect. I have never been denied payment with this retrieval system.

7. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

After I tried calling and stopping by in person I would just cut my losses. It is only $44.00. I do like to get every dollar that is owed to me but sometimes you just have to weigh the factors if it's worth the time and aggravation.

8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

You don't want other customers hearing that you basically gave away $44.00 in free services do you? Keep after it. That is your money.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just chalk it up as a lesson learned

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would continue to send an invoice but no legal action for $44.