44' Toro Proline, Blade Engagement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hofferj01, Apr 9, 2007.

1. hofferj01

hofferj01 LawnSite Member

Hello, I am having problems engaging my blades, the fuses keeps blowing. Blades will engage after I replace the fuses, but the fuses will blow after a couple minutes... Took the belt off that connects the clutch and blades to re-leave the tension, and the the fuse still blew. I replaced bearings in the clutch (that is what the shop said was wrong)

Any suggestion would be great?

Thank, Justin

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

The bearings would not make the fuse blow. But a bad coil in the clutch will. Also look for any chaffed wires goin to the clutch.

3. hofferj01

There are no chaffed wires, does it sound like the clutch or an electrical problem? Would the clutch still engage blades if the coil is bad. If u think it's the coils in the clutch would it be easy to replace them, since i all ready have 60 dollars in bearings????

Thanks

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. hofferj01

Checked the clutch with the feeler gauge, seems to within the range of my manual. (.030mm - 0.45mm)

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The clutch wears grooves in the plates over time thus when inserting a feeler gauge in the slot is reading the high spots on the plates but not the mating surface (grooves). This will allow a wider air gap.

Adjust to my spec. and see if it doesn't solve your problem, I have been using this spec. per Snapper for over 15 yrs. on all clutches with no problems.

7. hofferj01

Replaced the clutch for $130, and now is working great.. thank you all for your help