1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

44" Zero turn for commercial use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Krimick, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

I've started looking at zero turn mowers as they seem to be capable of a much cleaner looking job.

My problem is that a 48" or 50" cut is just to big for my area. Very few of my contracts have a significant amount of flat ground, and none have what I would consider a "smooth ride" :) The tractor will need to do about 40-50% of my riding, mainly the areas where my Kubota TG1860 48" is leaving to big of a foot print or is not making an entirely even cut.

Specifically what I'm looking at right now is the Exmark Lazer Z HP and the Toro TimeCutter Z. The tractor will work approx. 300 hours per season. I've read the Toro won't stand up to that use. If anybody has some experience with these tractors that they could share it would be greatly appreciated.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have an idea that when u go 44 lazer hp,u will realize that its
    really better as your primary mower.this is just a guess but
    i think the tractor will be used as backup an hauling machine.
    also think u will be glad u tried the z out.
  3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I don't believe the Toro Timecutter Z is a true commercial machine. Take the next step up to the commercial, or go with the Exmark.

The two machines are not comparable. The Timecutter is a homeowner machine.
  4. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of other commercial grade 44" zero turn riders?

The only one I can find is Exmark
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

did you miss the toro z100 series 44inch deck with the 17kawi engine?
  6. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

dlandscaping... thanks for pointing that outl, I did overlook the z100 series from toro and I'm reading about it right now.
  7. Mack

Mack LawnSite Member

I use the exmark 44 for all my needs. I got it last year and it is great. I even have some that have a fenced in back yard and I can get through the gate with no problem. I would recommend the exmark 44 for your needs.:angel: :angel:
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your lawns are so small that the biggest you can fit is a 44" mower, then you should steer clear of any type of rider, and go for a walkbehind. If these lawns are as small as I think, then you are going to be constantly turning. This will tear things up pretty quick with a heavy 44" ZTR (861lbs) while a 36" Walkbehind is less than half that weight (417lbs). Weight is what kills ZTR's while turning. Also on a ZTR you have to add your weight to the mower, while a WB, you walk behind it and sometimes give it a little persuasion with the handles in rough turns.

ZTR's in my book should be limited to a minimum of 52" any smaller, and the time savings isn't all that apparant. Most of your time savings between a WB and a ZTR are the cut speed (ZTR) vs. walk behind (personal walk pace), so going that small on a ZTR isn't going to net you much time savings.

Also be aware that a 44" Lazer HP has a 44" wheel to wheel width (no deck overhang) so trimming up clost to things and trimming around tree rings will be all but impossible.

Good Luck Though
  9. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

It's not that my lawns are small....but that I have found in the past 48" inch decks scalp in my area. The ground is terribly uneven. Although I've never tried a 48inch ztr, just 48" tractors, but I expect the result would be the same?

A wb is out of the question for me, I would never get all my condo's and houses cut on time. I use 3 riders all day as it is.

Do you think a 48" ztr would scalp be would provide less scalping then my 48" tractor?
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes a 48" ZTR will scalp less. WAY less. There is basically no overhang on a 48" just like the 44"!!!

If all your concerned about is scalping, dont worry about it. ZTR's dont scalp much!

Go with a 60" Lazer.!!
    That too big for ya?.....
    Go with a minimum of a 23hp Kawi 52" Lazer HP. This is a nice machine and in my mind the smallest a ZTR needs to be!

Its not the scalping that goes up the bigger the deck, its the weight and the tear-up when turning.

Put the biggest mower on a lawn that you feel comfortable with.

Test drive a Lazer. Make sure that the antiscalp rollers are properly adjusted for the height you are cutting. If you predict an impending scalp situation, just light pressure on the foot deck lift is all thats necessary!

Good Luck!