45 degree angle...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, May 16, 2008.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope everyone is doing well.. I havent posted in a while!

What is the best way to construct a SRW with a 45 degree angle? Basically I am going to build a bar with a built in grill which has two 45 degree angles. I am going to build two single sided walls next to each other with about 12" between the walls to accomodate the bluestone for the table tops... Thanks!

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

use corner blocks and a block splitter or a hammer and chisel.

3. jbailey52

Thanks... Im really wondering how the the two cut 45 degree blocks meet each other.. there is going to be a joint all the way from the bottom of the wall to the top correct? This is what I am wondering about.

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

For a better visual on inside and outside 45 degree angles go to: Idealconcreteblock.com Click on Contractors corner. At the bottom of the yellow box click on Pisa/Roman Pisa Installation Guide. Scroll thru pages 20 to 23. Patroit is right, you'll need a block splitter, hammer and chisel. Good luck!!!

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

You should definitely not have a seam inline on a 45 degree corner. Alternate the blocks or you will have no structural strength. As was stated, a block splitter and hammer and chisel will be invaluable.

Kirk

6. jbailey52

Kirk.. this is my main concern.. Althought the wall is only going to be 24" on the "middle straight length" of the 45 angle, and wont be holding anything back. If I alternate the bond, wont this look strange and not be a true angle?

7. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Go to "Ideals" website. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Done properly, there will be no seam.

8. Dreams To Designs

You may have to split the pieces twice, or cut once and split the other to get the 45. The illustration amscapes is referencing will give you a better idea of how this is done. It's on page 27 of the PDF or page 21 of the manual.

http://idealconcreteblock.com/Risi P2 RP Installation Guide SCREEN.pdf

If you need anything more, get in touch with me and I can help you out.

Kirk

9. Dreams To Designs

How did you make out with those 45 degree corners? Any photos to share with us? Sounds like a great project for an outdoor kitchen.

Kirk

10. jbailey52

It went ok... It sounded a lot easier on paper to do.. What we didnt do and should have, was measured a 22.5 degree angle on both pieces and cut... but it came out ok.. Ill get some pictures this week.