450/550 4x4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GQLL, Aug 26, 2013.

1. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at trucks and trying to decide if the 4x4 is needed in a truck this big. The only time we have used it in our current truck is in the snow and
    That's like once a year around here. Looking for some advice

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

2wd with a locker should be fine unless you plow with it and they suck at turning.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I live in the flatlands, so it may not be applicable, but I have a 2WD 550, no locker and pretty sure I plow more snow than both of you combined. In a day. And it works just fine with the right operator.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never plowed snow, so you have me beat.

5. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

It flat here and we maybe have one push a year. I'd like to do 2 wheel drive to save on fuel. I just don't want to regret it later on

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Load it up with salt\sand\whatever and you will plow until the cows come home. Keep some good tyres on it too.

7. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

My 450 is a terrible dirt truck no locker and 2wd.Honestly if it was 4x4 getting stuck would just happen more often.like knox said 2wd with a locker should be fine

8. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to see you bring a 2 wheel drive up here to the mountains of southern wv and southwest va. People would laugh u outta town plowing with a 2x4. Might as well put a plow on a camaro

9. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare LawnSite Member

We have a new 2012 F550 4x4 with the amount of sand, mud, and snow we deal with the 1-2 mpg gained is not worth it. The 6.7 diesel is amazing if you go new, we are on average pulling 15-25k on our trailers and up to 18,500 lbs in the dump shhhhhh we are averaging 9-11 mpg 11 empty 9 loaded

10. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Most if any snows that you receive will be on the warmer side, meaning it will not ice up under the snow and you will have plenty of traction. We run several 450 - 550 non 4x4 trucks for snow.