1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

450/550 dump vs dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnGuy110, Apr 27, 2014.

1. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 LawnSite Bronze Member

Late this season/ or early next season we plan on possibly getting another truck and dump trailer, or a 450/550 dump. I used the search function and couldnt really find what I was looking for. A little info, we do mainly residential mowing/landscaping. So here is the question. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a 450/550 dump vs a dump trailer other than price? Thanks for the help in advance:clapping:
  2. Townhouse Yards

Townhouse Yards LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Dump trucks you have to pay insurance on, so that's the advantage of a dump trailer. The 550 dump could be a nice plow truck, if you plow. Both are useful no matter what. Good luck with your decision.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member

I don't like how slow the dump trailer dumps. It can be used as a equipment hauler which is a plus. Skid or mini.

I like the 550 if your hauling a lot of material. Easy to back in to tight spaces. But if it's one or the other I don't think you can go wrong with a dump trailer. Cheaper to buy. Cheaper to maintain.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I have a dump trailer. The main advantage I can see is being able to haul materials in the truck and tow a trailer with equipment. This is quite a bit more expensive though. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Do you dump or haul equip daily? Then get a truck. Dump trailer is more for occasional or float use IMO
  6. LawnGuy110

We do mulch for probably half of the year. This is our first year running a full time mulch crew
  7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both. F-550 and a dump trailer.

I need another dump trailer and hope to get one later this year. Cost of ownership, as said above, is obviously cheaper. My advice is this- buy the dump trailer first. Truck is great, don't get me wrong, Trailer is versatile and cheap, compared to a dump truck. Fuel, repairs, insurance on our 550 are costly. Dump trailer has cost us tires. Maybe a couple batteries. That's it.
  8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

If youre doing tons of mulch something to consider is a truck can dump straight into wheelbarrows, a trailer cant.
  9. LawnGuy110

We are leaning more and more towards buying another dump trailer. If we plowed snow in the winter, the choice would be obvious, but since we dont, the dump trailer is probably the way to go. That being said. We already have a 6x12 brimar dump trailer. Would you get another 6x12 or go bigger?
  10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

What size truck?

I'm still waiting on my 16 foot lol
    Posted via Mobile Device