450H Deere dozer???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Construct'O, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Thinking about trying to get this size dozer to back fill my trenchs and also to winch the tiling machine in the mud and also use to string out the field drainage tile off the maxi stringer.First thought was another CTL ,but one is enough,i'm thinking?

Trying to get the second crew going.My thoughts are i would really wether have the dozer then another CTL.Just think it will hold it's value better and i think i can get more hours out of the undercarriage on the dozer then a CTL the way it looks to me.Cost isn't going to be much more or maybe even cheaper then replacement tracks for the CTL's.

Machine is coming up for auction 450 H Deere,2500 hrs.Cab a/c/h.Six way blade.2000 year.Looks to be repainted.Will be 9 years old here soon,but if the hours are correct it should still have a lot of use in it.

Might go reasonable?Don't really have time to go to the auction,so will have to wait and see when the time comes.

What's it going to bring:confused: Checking out iron planet,and etc. to get some ideas.Sale is about 250 miles away.:usflag:

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

How much iron you gonna buy this year?!

I like the H series machines, they're nice. I've spent some time on G's and H's, can run them both, but prefer the H just for the hystat system. I have heard very little issues with the Deere's, they're as good as Cat's dozers IMO.

That dozer would be around $40K out here, thereabouts.

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm going to give you a little "heads up"

When we were looking at dozers I found two 2002 "nice" JD650 dozers that had been repainted and said to have "low Hours", Called the fellow and he said they had 2000 or so hours on them. So we drove a good little way to go look at them. Yeah the machines looked great with the new paint job, but it really covered up a POS! I hopped in the cab and could not find the hour meters in either machine. The fellow came out and asked him where they were and he stated that they had been removed before he bought the machines... ok, then he stated that dozers usually only get a 1000 or so hours a year on them... WTF! you told me that they had 2000 hours on them... now they could have as many as 6000 hours. Negative sir... got back in my truck and drove off:laugh::laugh:

what a joke he was.

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I've spent some time in a 550H and it was a nice machine. However, it really didn't have enough power. I think it was like 100 hp. It would have been way more productive with 50 more hp.

I think you could do all the things you want to do with a large CTL faster than you could with a 450H.

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree, that 450 will push that wet dirt back into the hole a whole lot easier with less passes than a CTL...

6. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've ran a 450, 550, 650 and a 750.

the 450 is just big enough to somewhat piss you off. A good size skid steer would probably beat it as they can move faster than the dozer. A 550 a good size to have bigger and stronger than the 450, my takeuchi 150 will not keep up with a 550 JD as I've put them side my side, I can push faster but the dozer pushes more.

A 650 is a good pushing dozer LGP or standard, it'll move some dirt.

A 750 is a moster, those machines will move some dirt quick!

Altogether I think the JD 700H with a 6 way blade is the best dozer, big enough to push bulk dirt but still small enough to do fine grading.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

For pushing dirt and grading, it's hard to beat a dozer. I think we determined in the last dozer/skid thread that some jobs for dozers can be done with skids fairly effectively, but a skid will never be faster than a dozer when it comes to grading through cuts. Maybe the same speed, but definately not faster. Fill grading, I'm still on the fence about it in favor of dozers. However, I think it's fair to start assuming that 450/D3 size dozers are almost on the verge of becoming extinct just for the fact that the large tracked skis are gaining popularity. However, the 550/D4 size and up, skids will never be able to touch.

To top that off, for what he can pay for the dozer, that's what another CTL would cost. And, the dozer will hold it's value a little better as well. Since he already has a CTL, having the dozer might expand other work opportunities.

Aw screw it, Construct'o you know you need an 8T, just get it done. :drinkup:

8. all ferris

And when have you run 450H? And have you used a TL150? Have you ever had to tow a dozer? Have you ever had to pay for the vehicles big enough to tow a small dozer?

Maybe he already has the trucks and trailers big enough to move a dozer but it's much easier to move a TL150.

I'm just saying that I have run both of them and I thought the TL150 would be a better choice.

9. all ferris

This is all great info!

10. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I ran a 750J Deere and LOVED it. I also ran a 600H and it was good, but not quite the dozer the 750 was. A 700H is just enough dozer to make you feel confident to take a dozing job, but not quite enough dozer to do the job efficiently.

One thing I liked about the 750J was that if you wanted to spin the machine around real tight the tracks would go in opposite directions and it'd spin in place. I think that all new machines might do that, but I'm not sure since all I own is old iron.