46-0-0 at half rate?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by slimart01, Feb 12, 2008.

1. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

My lawn is well established and receives no traffic, so the need for K is very small. I was wondering how an app. (in late spring)of 46-0-0 urea at about half recommened rate (2.2 * 50%=1.1lbs N per 1000) would work? Would I still get a quick "green-up" thats short lived? Or would cutting the rate reduce it to a mild green up?(that is still short lived)

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

It would still be a quick greenup that you don't need in the spring. 46-0-0 is going to be all fast release nitrogen.

3. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I understand that your lanw is well established and receives no traffic...but that doesn't determine what N source to use.

Really urea is never the best product to use except in late fall or early winter.

Typically you will always want to use a slow release N source especially in the spring and summer.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

This is exactly what TG puts on in the spring here. (plus Barricade) Not sure what turf you have -- blue, St. Aug, or Bermuda, but it doesn't matter a whole lot. If you can "spoon feed" the lawn a little at a time, I don't see a problem. Mowing often enough is probably the key.

5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Do you think that you can effectively do this with only 5 applications per year. I know TGCL uses Urea like that here to, but I think they have a lot of customers on 7-8 apps per year.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I spose it depends on customer expectations. I treat my lawn about twice a year, but I have really good soil. Most of our customers have clay soils, so they need more nutrients. We always use slow-release, but our full program = 5 apps. I can see why TG sells up to 8 apps.

7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

That would be an awful lot of "N" for any spring treatment, with or without slow release. if you want to go straight "N" I would go in with 1/2 lb actual. The color will be there with out the surge growth. My feeling is I only 5-6 weeks of color till I'm back on the lawn. In many cases if a properly timed winterizer was applied you could save quite a few spring dollars with a straight Pre-E round one without the loss of early speing color. Remember a 1/2 lb of 46-0-0 @ 1lb actual product gives you the same amount of "N" coverage on the ground as a 13-2-5 @ 4lbs actual.

There is no ""1"" correct program out there, they will all perform depending on the results desired.

8. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

This is just something I'm thinking about trying out on my own lawn. Maybe I'll do 3-4 apps (4 weeks apart) of 46-0-0 at 1/4 the rec. dosage. The local extension rec. no more than 2lbs of N per 1000 per year for centipede and thats what this series of apps. would give me.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Another problem with doing this (besides the obvious poor timing and unhealthy practice for the overall health of the turf), would be that you are likely to have a spottiness of little green circles form all these little "nitrogen bombs" that are spiratically spaced out at half rate.