46,000 members- how long?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Oct 9, 2006.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Theres over 46k members of LS now, how many do you think will still be in the mowing business [primary source of income] in 10 yrs ???? :confused:

And I only mention LS as a bases for numbers, everyone knows theres a lot more grass cutters than just 46K

2. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Read a state of the industry report in one of the trade mags yesterday and it mentioned about 90,000 LCO's in the US (and you know there are way more!), but to answer your question less than 20%. Also, I like to go through the archives and look at the old threads and, for whatever rhyme or reason, quite a few of the posters back then are no longer here now.

3. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Seems like there are 46,000 in my mowing area alone!

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

7.14 will still be around. (the .14 is really the 8th guy who has sold all but one or two pieces of his equipment)

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

there are 46000 members here but only around still post. thats probably about the same percentage that will still be around in 10 years. lets see that would be 1%.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I definitely think there are more part time operations on LS....... rather than full time that use their business as a primary income.
    So I think the percentage of members here that will be still be in biz, will be low simply because from what I see from around our area, part time businesses get bored, find out it's not all that easy to make a good profit unless truly motivated and goal oriented, and jump ship.

But there will be plenty more members signing up all with the dream to own a lawn business.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I gotta agree with Jodi...plus in 10 years from now (or less God willing), I plan on coming out to see and harass you in person as much as I can Mac :clapping:

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I won't be here.............

As everyone gives a great big YAYYYYY!:waving:

Relocation is definite at this point, and the green industry has no part in those plans.

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope that in 2 years I'm not here .... I'm getting into my sports bar hopefully by Jan 2007

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'll be here all alone probably! :( It's going to be lonely